[Isocops] EXT :Re: IBEX Goat Herder for 3 April 2023

Tyler, Ryan S [US] (SP) Ryan.Tyler at ngc.com
Tue Apr 4 22:29:27 EDT 2023

The star tracker CCD temp being higher could definitely cause more pronounced hot spots that swamp the tracker and make it time out trying to get a lock. MPS is supposed to look at the attitude both before and after the maneuver for outages, so the failure to perform the maneuver shouldn’t result in having Earth in the star tracker FOV. That said, the Earth was pretty close to the star tracker keepout at perigee (late 30th, early 31st… I don’t know exactly when it happened), so it might be that the Earth was about as close as it can be without triggering the keepout in MPS, but maybe the reality of the keepout has changed since the ST software update in 2016. Purely a hypothesis. Either way, the sun was more or less in the opposite direction of the Earth, meaning that the Earth would be fully illuminated for the sake of albedo warming the star tracker. So between the warmth and proximity of the Earth to the keepout, things were apparently just bad enough.

In any case, it might be a good idea to widen the definition of the star tracker keepout by a few deg to avoid this happening again. It also might not be a bad idea to see if DTU would recommend any changes to the star tracker settings, since a lot of time has passed since 2016.

[cid:image001.png at 01D96744.721D2510]