[Isocops] EXT :Re: IBEX Spacecraft Clock Issue Post-Contact Meeting Notes

Tyler, Ryan S [US] (SP) Ryan.Tyler at ngc.com
Mon Aug 30 11:43:55 EDT 2021

I can answer that question right now: yes, the raw time stamp continues to increment.

See the attached image, which is a screenshot of the secondary header contents. The fields are:
[MAESTRO timestamp in seconds past UNIX time epoch],
[day of year],
[hour],
[subseconds, not used, MSB],
[subseconds, not used, LSB],
[minutes],
[seconds],
[year]

This ground packet is essentially the process by which MAESTRO uses the secondary header to timestamp data. MAESTRO uses columns 2-8 to calculate column 1.

At the time of the event, the timestamp in the secondary header switched from being accurate (sort of – day 602 of year 2020 was correctly translated by MAESTRO) to something completely wrong (day 13948 of year 2026). We’re trying to figure out why that happened and what we can do about it.

MAESTRO apparently rejects a time so far in the future and sets the timestamp to zero every time, thus the static timestamp we’re seeing in MAESTRO. But the fields in the secondary header are indeed incrementing, just from that incorrect epoch.

-Ryan