[Isocops] Hi Gain : IBEX ORbit# 247 v002 Contact Request

Paul Janzen paul.janzen at mso.umt.edu
Thu Apr 17 20:22:19 EDT 2014

> Paul, attached is a view period report. Can you take a look at the orbit
> (and the orbit before and after if needed) and see if the gain test would
> fit into another timeslot?

I don't have precise times for apogee repoints and thus for the 'ABAB'
timing yet, but in orbit o0247b, the first 'A' period should include
25 May 19:00 - 26 May 02:00, any hour during which would be an adequate
time for a test.

In orbit o0246b, the equivalent timing would be circa 16 May 11:00 - 15:00.

Are either of those times sufficient?

The prime consideration is that IBEX be in the solar wind and not in the
bow shock / magnetosheath, or else we will for sure not get a good CEM D
test (we aren't guaranteed good conditions for a CEM D test ever, but we
can predict when we will only lose).  That's what putting the gain test
into the descending arc this time of year.

It's nice if the Earth isn't in FOV during the gain test, but as long as
the arc doesn't require despinning, which these shouldn't, we can remove
the Earth environs from analysis and continue on just fine.

It's also operationally easiest if we schedule the gain test for when the
CEMs are at 1700V rather than 1780V, but I note that if needed we CAN
generate a gain test "from" 1780V and further, that if needed we could
shift around the 'ABAB' voltage timing to accommodate a specific test.

Paul Janzen.