[Isocops] New Nose and Tail

Nathan Schwadron nschwadron at guero.sr.unh.edu
Mon Mar 11 20:29:25 EDT 2013

Hi All

I have had a request from Dave (see thread below) to change the Nose and Tail directions in out plots.
The needed change is in "make_me_bin_overlay.pro" and I have pasted in the change below. ra[0], dec[0]
and ra[3], and dec[3] below have been modified.

I have committed the change in isoc_dev.

Ken can you make the corresponding change in the production environments?

All: please be aware of the change. Maher, this is especially important for your plotting software.

Nathan

;
; round up the usual suspects for the heliosphere
;
pro make_me_bin_std_hs,          $
        ips,                     $ ; IN: common isoc plotting structure
        label,                   $ ; OUT: array of labels
        ra,                      $ ; OUT: array of ra values
        dec,                     $ ; OUT: array of dec values
        color                      ; OUT; array of color indices 0..4

        label = strarr(4)
        ra    = dblarr(4)
        dec   = dblarr(4)
        color = intarr(4)       ; zero by default
        color = replicate(0, 4) ; if we wanted other than zero

        label[0] = "Nose"
        label[1] = "V1"
        label[2] = "V2"
        label[3] = "Tail"

        ra[0] = 258.47
        ra[1] = 257.22
        ra[2] = 297.36
        ra[3] = 78.47

        dec[0] = -18.02
        dec[1] = 12.19
        dec[2] = -53.51
        dec[3] = 18.02

        ; transform to requested SPICE frame using ibex_rotate and spawn
        if (ips.mapframe ne 'J2000') then begin
          transform_ra_dec_arrays,ips,ra,dec
        endif
end

Nathan Schwadron
n.schwadron at unh.edu

University of New Hampshire
Morse Hall - Room 354
8 College Road
Durham NH 03824
USA

(603) 862-3451

Hi Herb and Nathan,

Yes – we need to fix this if we are still using other values in our processing of the ENA data. The current values that we should be using for everything are J2000 Ecliptic (longitude, latitude) of  (79.00°,–4.98°) from the 2012 Science paper (no Bow Shock) that rectified the small differences between the Möbius and Bzowski ApJS values. That’s what we asked the broader community to do, so that’s what we need to do ourselves. In the future I am sure we will publish further refinements and update these “best” parameters, but for now we need to use these.

Best,
Dave

David J. McComas, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice President