[Isocops] Conditions still yellow

Nathan Schwadron nschwadron at guero.sr.unh.edu
Mon Sep 3 20:29:39 EDT 2012

Hi All

Conditions remain yellow. The >10 MeV fluxes are hovering around 10/cm^2-s-sr as the CME moves through the interplanetary medium and past Earth. Conditions are not expected to worsen in coming days. The only remote risk is if another event occurs. However, flaring has been minimal.

Considering instrument operations, please keep in mind that the energetic particle fluxes are low despite the propagation of a CME to Earth that is causing moderate disruption of magnetosphere. We are still near the plasma sheet, lobes and magnetotail depending on our position in the orbit. Changes in the plasma environment are likely at this time, which raises the likelihood of charging and other plasma-induced spacecraft effects.

Nathan

Nathan Schwadron
n.schwadron at unh.edu

University of New Hampshire