[Isocops] Thu 8/9, 11am EDT: IBEX-APL Configuration Meeting

Reno, Michelle mreno at swri.edu
Tue Aug 7 12:20:38 EDT 2012

Hello All,

We need to have a meeting this week to discuss APL SCF configuration.
Please let me know if you are not available to support a call Thu, 11am
EDT. We have another APL SSR Dump planned next perigee and we cannot
afford to lose two data dumps in a row.

We had significant problems with this SSR Dump and real-time files
collected by APL this weekend. The MOC can still not access the data for
SOH reviews, and has cited problems such as a 64-bit header being used
instead of the needed 32-bit header. The ISOC also ran into significant
issues with the data, but through extensive debugging and playing with
the files were able to finally extract the payload data. The spacecraft
bus data is still unknown. We are in an anomaly situation and just
turned a portion of the anomalous sensor back on last orbit - it is
critical for us to see the data right away!

These problems are due to APL configuration and file naming and could
have been easily avoided.

1)      The file naming did not fit the requested naming structure again
this dump. See attached ICD.

2)      The data configuration did not match the standard configuration
so the data cannot be ready by out ground interface software. See
attached ICD.

Throughout the duration of our contract with APL we have repeatedly
requested a specific file naming format yet have consistently gotten
different file naming structures with each contact. ISOC software is a
large series of subroutines that cannot handle this filename
fluctuation, and processing APL data is very labor intensive and time
consuming. Now the data files are unreadable by the MOC also, which has
not been seen since the beginning of the contract.  These issues are not
due to the SCF Upgrade because we have taken successful passes and data
dumps since the upgrade.

I have attached the USN ICD. APL has agreed to follow the configuration
and nomenclature as prescribed in the ICD. During the telecon we will
discuss the reason for deviations and how to avoid them in the future.

We look forward to having APL as a robust addition to the IBEX Ground
Segment, but we need to work out a few lingering kinks.

Thanks,

Chelle