[Isocops] Discussion about incorporation of Bzowski's Survival Probabilities

Nathan Schwadron nschwadron at guero.sr.unh.edu
Mon Nov 14 16:21:03 EST 2011

Hi All

We have reached consensus today that the best path forward for the IBEX maps is to incorporate survival prob from Bzowski and analytic solutions for deflection and energy change through the heliosphere. There are many advantages to this approach. I am sending this email so that we will take this path forward and freeze the system once implemented. Rationale is below; however, it is vital at this stage that we take this approach and don't veer from the development path.

Cheers

Nathan

Rationale: The analytic corrections due to angle deflection and energy change are very small and depend only on one parameter, mu: the path integrated radiation pressure force divided by gravitational force. This makes it straightforward to implement the software and then we can find the best value of mu based on comparison with Bzowski model results. The other advantage with this approach is that it can be implemented on the timeframe needed. In terms of correctness of the approximation, the corrections are so small that any differences between the analytic solutions and results from Bzowski for angle deflection and energy change will be barely detectable in the solutions.

Nathan Schwadron
n.schwadron at unh.edu

University of New Hampshire
Morse Hall - Room 353