[Isocops] IBEX ISOC software release 5.0 now merged and ready (and info on future development)

Joe Peterson joe at boulder.swri.edu
Tue Jun 7 10:39:35 EDT 2011

Hi all,

As most of you know, we have been preparing a new version of the ISOC
software that handles the new "orbit arc" paradigm.  This is in prep
for the orbit change maneuver that is currently underway.

Before these changes began, the newest version of the software was
4.1.  All new arc-related changes have been going into a new branch
that was previously called "5.0pre".  We have now completed a merge of
the latest 4.1 changes into this new development tree in order to make
the "5.0" release, which is now frozen for new development but still
accepting bug fixes.  This will soon become the default version
running on the SwRI/Boulder SOC.  We have also renamed the repository
(on the svn server) to "releases/5.0".

For the time being (i.e. because of the maneuver plans), the code
"trunk" repository will NOT been updated with the 5.0 arc-related
changes, and it will remain our 4.1 source area (and the running
development code on the UNH SOC).  Any near-term changes needed in the
trunk (while it is still at 4.1) will need to be merged to 5.0 again,
so it is best to limit trunk changes, for now, only to what is
necessary.

We have not yet determined when the 5.0-related (newer arc-related)
code will be merged back to the trunk, but once this happens we plan
to treat the trunk as the mainline code development area, and it will
be set to version "5.1".  This will mark a return to a more standard
way of developing and marking versions/releases, in which snapshots of
the trunk can easily be made when we wish to freeze development on
versioned releases.  I will send another email when this is about to
happen.

In summary, here are the repository versions as they currently stand:

trunk - dev version 4.1, used on the UNH SOC for the time being
5.0pre - previous experimental dev branch for arc-related changes (do
NOT use this now)
5.0 - release with arc-related changes (only bug fixes now) - default
on Boulder SOC soon

In the near future, it will be this way:

trunk - active development version 5.1 (with arc-related changed merged back in)
5.0 - stable release with arc-related changes

For those who have been working on the newer arc-related code, if you
had been working in "5.0pre", please check out a new working copy of
5.0 (and do not check anything new into the 5.0pre branch):

    cd $IBEX_HOME
    (remove or move old ibex and isoc dirs)
    svn checkout https://ibex-web.unh.edu/svn/ibex/releases/5.0 ibex
    svn checkout https://ibex-web.unh.edu/svn/isoc/releases/5.0 isoc

If you have been working in 5.0, but under the older "branches/5.0"
repositories, you can simply use "svn switch" to shift to the new
("releases") repository location:

    cd $IBEX_HOME/ibex
    svn switch https://ibex-web.unh.edu/svn/ibex/releases/5.0
    cd $IBEX_HOME/isoc
    svn switch https://ibex-web.unh.edu/svn/isoc/releases/5.0

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Joe

--
Joe Peterson                            Southwest Research Institute
Mission Operations                      Department of Space Operations