[HubbardBrookISE] Summer Update

Rustad, Lindsey -FS lrustad at fs.fed.us
Wed Sep 2 08:54:26 EDT 2015

Dear ISE'rs,
John and I  wanted to give you an update from the ISE experiment. It has been a busy and productive summer, thanks in a large part to Geoff Schwaner and our full and part time crew!
Here is a link to a video on SummerISE to share what the summer looked like!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxlKHp5nhU

Our accomplishments are listed below, as well as our remaining tasks for the fall.  These can also be viewed as our now (in)famous spreadsheet, which I have attached.  You will note how it is taking on quite a green hue :)

The good news:  We have a terrific site, and we have gotten almost everything done this summer that we set out to do, and have started sampling all parameters.   Everyone was safe, group dynamics were great, and we didn't create too much havoc at the Pierce Lab.

The bad news:  Due to bureaucracy outside our control, we did not get the lysimeters or the sensors installed until July, so we will only have a half field season for the lysimeters to equilibrate and collect preliminary data, and for preliminary soil and moisture data.  We also were unable to get to ~10 of the 54 'away' plots for resampling from the 1998 ice storm (of course, we originally thought we just had 36 plots, so we got to more than we had proposed!).

We have a lot of work to do this fall, but Charley is sending his post doc Habib over to help , and we have a small amount of funds left for Dan and Don (experienced onsite temporary staff), so we think we are on track for a solid finish to the field season.

I will send around a dreaded DOODLE POLL in the next email to set a time for us all to talk and catch up.  Major decisions are how to assign treatments to plots, and whether we have enough pretreatment data to go ahead with the winter icing in 2016.

Accomplishments:

*         Located Plots

*         Set up Plots

*         Conducted tree inventory and tagged all trees > 6 cm

*         Installed first set of preliminary root cores

*         Installed respiration collars (which double as trace gas collars), and started bi-weekly collections

*         Installed lysimeters, and started collections

*         Installed wells next to lysimeters (to check for ground water contamination to soil solution samples)

*         Installed soil temperature and soil moisture sensors, and two air temperature sensors

*         Collected soil samples and described soil profiles in each sensor pit

*         Set out litter fall collectors

*         Took leaf on hemispheric photos

*         Conducted LAI measurements

*         Collected foliage samples

*         Designed ice collection 'ornaments'

*         Hosted videographer and photographer on 5 separate days for making of our ISE video

*         Grad student Wendy worked on beetles, birds, and bats

*         The crew helping in archives and with annual meetings

Fall Schedule:

*         Collect litterfall

*         Set up radios for automated Real-Time data retrieval

*         Set up web cam for Real-Time viewing if plots and icing

*         Conduct point intercept coarse woody debris(CWD) survey on plots

*         Rake sub plots for CWD, weigh and subsample for chemistry

*         Make and install 600 litter and twig decomposition bags

*         Remove first set of root cores, sort roots

*         Collect soils, sieve, and install first set of treatment root cores

*         Continue to sample soil respiration, trace gas flux, and soil solutions

*         Conduct icing trials at HQ and near plots

*         Conduct forest health inventory on plots

*         Make icing ornaments

*         Buy and install new trac on winter vehicles

*         Fall videography and photography work

*         Tree cores

*         Icing Trails at HQ and on sites

*         Clear trail around plots for winter vehicles

*         Restake plots with longer stakes to make sure we find them in the winter if snow is deep

*         Organize/Analyze/Review Data
Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.  Else, we can discuss on the to be scheduled conference call.

Best,

Lindsey

[Forest Service Shield]

Lindsey Rustad, PhD