[HubbardBrookCOS] Hubbard Brook Graduate Student Meetup - Please encourage your students to attend!

Mary Martin Mary.Martin at unh.edu
Thu Feb 29 14:31:34 EST 2024

Hubbard Brook COS,
As some of you may have heard, there is an effort underway to have our Grad Students meet on a regular basis.
February had a light turnout, and I'm reaching out to you for your help in getting a better turnout in March.

It would be really helpful if you could encourage your students to respond to the meeting time poll sent by Emerson Conrad-Rooney yesterday, and to tell me a little bit about their data at the jotform link below. You'll see an outline of what I plan to talk about this month and at a future meetup. I'd appreciate any feedback from you on any particular aspects of data management and publishing that I should be covering with the grads.
Thanks for your help!
Mary

Grads,
I'm really looking forward to talking about data with you in March!

I've worked with a number of you individually to publish data, but I want to start the grad meetup data discussion  with a broader overview of why we publish data, publication benefits to you and others, some of the resources available at the LTER network level, and some of the features of the Environmental Data Initiative repository (EDI).  At a future grad meetup we'll dive into the data publication process with a discussion of data package design and hands-on drafting of metadata. We'll work with EDI's new online workflow for data publication, and this is a resource that you will be able to use beyond your time at Hubbard Brook - EDI publishes data beyond the LTER sites to include a wide range of ecological research studies.

It's really helpful to know how you are using existing data, and what data you are planning to collect (or have collected) for your own work. This short survey will help me focus our sessions. https://form.jotform.com/83314461335149. You can add multiple datasets with the '+' button, and don't worry about exact details, this is just a rough placeholder for future reference.

And remember....If you are close to submitting a paper and need to publish data, don't wait until the meetup - let me know ASAP and we'll start working one-on-one to publish your data.

See you soon!
Mary

Mary Martin
Hubbard Brook LTER Information Manager