[HubbardBrookCOS] New Hubbard Brook grad students in 2024?

Mary Martin Mary.Martin at unh.edu
Thu Apr 25 09:30:47 EDT 2024

Hubbard Brook COS,

With the summer field season rapidly approaching, I want to make sure I have all grad students involved with Hubbard Brook in our
database and subscribed to the listserv. The grads currently on our list are below - please check to see if I'm missing anyone, or if anything there needs an update.
The list below is sorted by institution. Note that in the first column I've checked off grads that I have met with in the last few months to discuss data publication.
Almost all grads have a profile page on the website - thank you for encouraging them to do that!
Mary

met with IM
firstName
lastName
0 Institution
Advisor
Profile Page
MS or PhD
Thesis title (full citation if graduated). If still active, a draft title is ok
Stephen
Caron
Boston University
Templer
PhD
Measuring the impacts of global change drivers, including climate change and urbanization, on key nutrient cycles in mixed temperate and northern hardwood forests
Emerson
Conrad-Rooney
Boston University
Templer
PhD
Impacts of winter and growing season climate change on forest carbon sequestration

Emma
Daily
Boston University
Templer
PhD
Climate change impacts on biogeochemical cycling in forest ecosystems
Bridget
Tweedie
Cornell
Webster
PhD

Catalina
Mejia
Cornell
Goodale
PhD
Investigating the potential effects of climate change on future losses of nitrogen gases from Hubbard Brook.
Shiyi
Li
Cornell
Fahey
PhD
Studying nutrient limitations in the northern hardwood forests through belowground C allocation and interactions between roots and fungal communities
Liz
Kreitinger
Cornell
Goodale
PhD
Quantifying fluxes and environmental controls of nitrogen loss from temperate forest soils

Alicia
Brunner
Cornell
Webster & Sillett
PhD
How does the lengthening green season impacts the timing of breeding and fall migration of Black-throated Blue Warblers

Genevieve
Goebel
Dartmouth
Pries
PhD
Sampling depth-explicit soil gases and measuring hydrological indicators inside the plots at the Climate Change Across Seasons Experiment (CCASE)
Miranda
Zammarelli
Dartmouth
Ayres/ter Hofstede
PhD
Studying how songbird territory size and territory quality influence their reproductive success and how often they sing
Pooja
Panwar
Dartmouth
Ayres/ter Hofstede
PhD
Integrating Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM) with traditional bird surveys to improve long-term monitoring programs of avian communities
Noah
Blumenthal
Miami Univ
Fisk
PhD
Studying mycorrhizal interactions in the forest soils
Jenn
Butt
Miami Univ
Fisk
PhD
Studying the interaction of roots and mycorrhizal fungi in response to annual nutrient addition
Anton
Yushanov
Miami Univ
Fisk
MS
I’m interested in the interaction between root morphology and nutrient availability within tree species. I currently work on the Multiple Element Limitation in Northern Hardwood Ecosystems (MELNHE) project.

Darby
Bergl
Northern Arizona University
Richardson
PhD
Measuring and modeling soil carbon turnover times at Hubbard Brook using radiocarbon as a tracer
Jake
Beidler
SUNY-ESF
Yanai
MS
Studying the linkages between microbial decomposer community structure/function and nutrient availability
Jenna
Zukswert
SUNY-ESF
Yanai
PhD
Investigating the effects of long-term nitrogen and phosphorus addition on litterfall mass, foliar traits, foliar nutrient cycling, and resorption in New Hampshire northern hardwood forests
Kelley
Gilhooly
SUNY-ESF
Yanai
MS
Studying the impacts of NxP fertilization on temperate forest ecosystem
Erin
Cornell
SUNY-ESF
Yanai
MS
The influence of nutrient limitations on free-living N Fixation
Sara
Sternick
SUNY-ESF
Yanai
MS
Special interests include native plants, their mycorrhizal associations and successional role in shaping ecosystems

Nicholas
Nicholas LoRusso
Syracuse Univ
Driscoll
PhD
Studying the seasonal fluxes and characterization of dissolved organic matter in both calcium-treated and reference watersheds

Eric
Lyons
UMT
Lowe
MS
Studying the directionality of dispersal events in a stream salamander population in the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest
Jack
Hastings
UNH
Ollinger
PhD
Using remote sensing and modeling to study how forest canopy architecture influences landscape-scale processes
Ryan
Reed
UNH
Jacobs
MS
Studying winter water balance in temperate deciduous forests using historical data and remote sensing

Stephen
Peters-Collaer
UVM
Keeton
PhD
Specific interests include: disturbance ecology, climate change, forest structural development, the role human land-use plays in altering forests, carbon storage, and the connections between forests and streams

Lindsey
Carlson
UVM
Morales/Keeton/Bernhardt
PhD
Studying the impacts of forest succession and habitat heterogeneity on stream diatom biodiversity and function
John
Morgan
Virginia Tech
McGuire/Gannon
PhD
Studying catchment hydrology, focusing on soil, water, and streamflow generation in headwater streams

Tristan
Coffey
Wright State
Barton
PhD
Studying the fracture Networks and Groundwater Hydrology in Crystalline Bedrock, Mirror Lake Watershed, Woodstock, New Hampshire