[HubbardBrookCOS] Describing Hubbard Brook use of the EDI repository in Data Mgmt Plans and reports to funders

Mary Martin mary.martin at unh.edu
Mon Oct 4 16:51:11 EDT 2021

Hubbard Brook Investigators and Grad Students,

Below is a snippet of text you may want to use in future Data Management
Plans. This will definitely apply if you are collecting data at Hubbard
Brook, and may apply to your other work if you choose to use the EDI
repository - EDI isn't limited to LTER data! (ask me about that if you
want to know more). We describe the Hubbard Brook data holdings in
detail in our LTER reports, but it is likely that your work at Hubbard
Brook is also supported by other grants. With just a little
wordsmithing, the same can be used when reporting that you /have/
submitted project data to EDI. Since our data types and content cover a
broad range, there may be situations where additional detail could be
added - in those cases, I'd be happy to help you customize this text.

-Mary

Data from this project will be made available in the Environmental Data
Initiative repository (EDI; https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/).
To enable discovery and usability of these data, the EDI submissions
will be prepared following the Best Practices for Dataset Metadata in
Ecological Metadata Language (EML;
https://ediorg.github.io/data-package-best-practices/EMLmetadata/), use
keywords aligned with controlled vocabularies (LTER, USDA Forest
Service, and ISO 19115), fully describe all data table attributes,
reference funding sources, and include  temporal, geographic, and
taxonomic coverages. These steps, and features and services of the EDI
repository, help to align our data with FAIR data practices (Findable,
Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable; Wilkinson 2016). EDI further
publishes these data through the DataONE federation - at both EDI and
DataONE, these data can be discovered via a sophisticated search
interface and manually or programmatically downloaded. The EDI
repository fully supports immutability and strong versioning of datasets
with all older versions being available for auditing and
reproducibility. Each dataset version is provided its own unique Digital
Object Identifier (DOI), which is registered by DataCite and resolvable
through the International DOI Foundation (IDF).

Wilkinson, M., Dumontier, M., Aalbersberg, I. et al. The FAIR Guiding
Principles for scientific data management and stewardship. Sci Data 3,
160018 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1038/sdata.2016.18

Mary Martin
Hubbard Brook Information Manager
Earth Systems Research Center