[HubbardBrookCOS] ATTENTION: Species for Hubbard Brook Mural Project

Raisa Kochmaruk rk497 at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 7 12:26:18 EDT 2021

Hello Hubbard Brook Community,

My name is Raisa Kochmaruk, and I am a scientific illustrator who will be
graduating from Cornell in May. Some of you may remember me from the 2019
and 2020 annual Cooperators’ meetings - during last summer’s conference I
presented a series of Black-throated Blue Warbler illustrations and spoke a
bit about my work with the Cornell Museum of Vertebrates. I am writing to
let you know that I am currently planning a mural for the Hubbard Brook
headquarters building. I’ll be painting a forest stream scene on a series
of panels which will be mounted on the wall above the landing on the
staircase. The panels will be painted elsewhere on-site this summer.

My goal for this project is to represent the iconic species of Hubbard
Brook to all those who pass through that staircase: both your notable study
species, as well as the common trees, birds, fish, amphibians, insects,
mosses, etc. that you associate with the ecosystem. I also want to
accurately depict the boulders/geologic formations that are typical of the
region.

In addition to your expertise on the species and systems of Hubbard Brook,
you have long standing knowledge of the unique character of the landscape.
I am reaching out to you for your input and ideas today for both of these
reasons.

There are a few pieces of information that will be massively helpful:

   1.

   The name(s) of your study species, and a few good photos. You can send
   photos to me directly (email: rk497 at cornell.edu, number: 484-951-6559)
   and add the name to this spreadsheet
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vWUW2LNVH27z36i4FVxWAAEdMZwpQL0x_9_JXZVaE-o/edit#gid=1520133836>.
   If you have the time, please let me know where your species would likely be
   within this scene. Of course, I am also researching correct placement.

   1.

   What are the iconic Hubbard Brook species that you regularly observe in
   July? ALSO add these to the spreadsheet. If they seem too obvious,
   that’s exactly what I am looking for (e.g. hard to miss red efts in early
   spring). I’m especially interested in the species you notice that are
   outside of your research focus.

   -

   Trees, shrubs, flowers, birds, mammals/signs of mammals, moths,
   amphibians, reptiles, EVERYTHING, please add them to the species list
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vWUW2LNVH27z36i4FVxWAAEdMZwpQL0x_9_JXZVaE-o/edit#gid=1520133836>
   .

   1.

   Do you have a great photo of a brook that is from a similar angle as the
   photos I’ve included below? This is to ‘capture the character’ of the
   boulders!

Please send me your photos by Tuesday, April 20th.

Thank you for your time and input. I look forward to meeting many of you in
person when I am at Hubbard Brook this summer!

Very best,

Raisa

Please reach out to me and ask me about the project, share your ideas, your
photos. Send photos via email, or message them to me with a description.

My email: rk497 at cornell.edu

My number: 484-951-6559

The species list spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vWUW2LNVH27z36i4FVxWAAEdMZwpQL0x_9_JXZVaE-o/edit
- gid=1520133836
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vWUW2LNVH27z36i4FVxWAAEdMZwpQL0x_9_JXZVaE-o/edit#gid=1520133836>

Here is a simple, geometric version of my layout idea:

The following are examples of effective reference photos. Some are from
Hubbard Brook. Do you have any images like these of your study species or
study areas within the forest?

[image: image.jpeg]