[HubbardBrookCOS] Leaf-out forecast for Hubbard Brook

Mike Webster msw244 at cornell.edu
Sat Apr 11 18:23:08 EDT 2020

Nice! And so if we can get a couple of people to HB by early or even mid-June, all will be good!

From: "Matthew P. Ayres" <Matthew.P.Ayres at dartmouth.edu>
Date: Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 6:03 PM
To: "HubbardBrookCOS at lists.sr.unh.edu" <HubbardBrookCOS at lists.sr.unh.edu>, Scott Sillett <scott.sillett at icloud.com>, Laurel Braden Symes <symes at cornell.edu>, Mike Webster <msw244 at cornell.edu>, "EGA external Contact: mhallworth at gmail.com" <mhallworth at gmail.com>, "Elizabeth A. Studer" <Elizabeth.A.Studer.GR at dartmouth.edu>, "Elijah W. Laird" <Elijah.W.Laird.21 at dartmouth.edu>, "Richard T. Holmes" <Richard.T.Holmes at dartmouth.edu>, Nick Rodenhouse <nrodenho at wellesley.edu>, Sara Kaiser <sak275 at cornell.edu>, Madelyn Ore <mjo234 at cornell.edu>, Alicia Rae Brunner <arb433 at cornell.edu>
Subject: Leaf-out forecast for Hubbard Brook

Hi HB,
In case you are interested, we can offer our first phenology forecasts for HB 2020.

Based on our current best phenology models (after Lany et al. 2015), temperatures to date this year, and the 10-day forecast as of 11 April 2020, predictions for budburst on the Main bird plot (490 m asl) are:

  *   Budburst = 13 May,
  *   90% completion of leaf expansion = 25 May,
  *   Median date of arrival and first clutch initiation for Black-throated Blue Warblers = 12 May and 31 May, respectively.
More details in pg 2 of enclosure.

If the current budburst prediction is accurate, it will be about 3 days earlier than the 60-year average but very close to that expected for 2020 (page 1 in enclosure).

Feel free to share this with anyone who may be interested. I will aim to provide weekly updates of the forecasts.

Matt