[HubbardBrookCOS] Hubbard Brook Document [message from N Rodenhouse]

Mary Martin mary.martin at unh.edu
Thu Jul 11 21:17:21 EDT 2019

To all COS members,
Below is an update about where we stand in planning for the construction
of a document archive.  I have also included an excel file that shows
who has indicated interest in storing materials in the document
archive.  If you or your research group is not on this list and you want
to be, please contact Nick with the relevant information.

If the notes below generate any questions, please ask Nick.  If you want
to contribute to the document archive fund, please let Anthea know.
I think we are making good progress.
Nick

Document archive notes for the HBRF board meeting, 9 July 2019

We have finalized the structure that we need – a Bally refrigerated box
with 8’10” high wall panels.

This structure will sit on a fully insulated cement pad, painted with
epoxy. The pad will be supported by a 5’ deep foundation wall set on a
broad footing to prevent sinking or tilting of the pad. After the annual
meeting, Ian Halm has agreed to assist me in digging some pits at the
corners of the site to make sure that the soil conditions are as
expected, i.e., sand and gravel over glacial till, according to Scott
Bailey. Ian has access to a backhoe.

Interior shelving will be primarily high density mobile shelving that
will hold 600 archival boxes.  This shelving will occupy about 50% of
the interior space of the building.

The best location for the building is north of the PVF house and east of
the PVF lab, approximately 30’ from each nearby building.

Site preparation will include the felling of some young pines that
overhang the site.

Electrical connections will follow those to either PVF house or the lab,
whichever the utility workers decide is best.  The electrical load will
be light (a small HVAC unit and interior lights), so I expect that
extending the line from the lab or the farmhouse will work.

Permits for this structure and the electrical connections needed will be
requested once we have sufficient funds for both the building (~$60,000)
and the pad. The cost of the pad is unknown at present.

Based on information from the Bally rep, Scott Swain, maintenance costs
will be low – electricity and periodic servicing of the HVAC unit, which
primarily needs a change of its filter.  I expect these costs to be in
the range of $200-300/yr.

It will be possible to monitor the functioning of the building via the
web.  I am glad to do that with the assistance of an HBRF staff member
when I am away.

We are beginning discussion of archiving the materials.  I will have
conversations about this with the archivist for the a Northern Forest
Research Station, and with Doris Hamburg, former Director of
Preservation Programs at the US National Archives and Records
Administration.    I will lead initial curation and continue to be
involved with this project as long as I am able.

We have raised $50,000 for this project, the total cost of which will be
about $100,000.  The shelving is much more expensive than I had
previously estimated.  We will be submitting a grant proposal to Jane’s
Trust on 15 July for the additional $50,000.

Also, it would be helpful to hire two student interns to assist with
initial curation of the materials we have on hand.  This is included in
the grant proposal.

If you have any questions, please ask Nick

--
Nicholas L. Rodenhouse
Professor Emeritus of Biological Sciences