[HubbardBrookCOS] 3/20 Joint Meeting with Harvard Forest

Sarah Garlick sgarlick at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Fri Feb 15 07:53:25 EST 2019

Dear colleagues:

You are cordially invited to our 2nd annual Hubbard Brook-Harvard Forest
Joint Meeting on March 20th from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm at Harvard Forest as
part of our collaborative Public Engagement with Science at LTER Sites
project. This meeting will follow on the heels of the annual Harvard Forest
Ecology Symposium on March 19th from 9:00 am to 5:15 pm at the Fisher
Museum at Harvard Forest.

Please see details about the Hubbard Brook-Harvard Forest Joint Meeting and
the annual Harvard Forest Ecology Symposium below.

We have funding to cover participants' travel expenses to attend these
meetings. Hubbard Brook investigators, students, and staff are welcome and
encouraged to attend.

Please RSVP for the Hubbard Brook-Harvard Forest Joint Meeting on March 20 by
filling out this brief Google Form.
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScp7U5pfTvUQZLOUTr593GLsYnMO-AazEavMzYy8odPbr8TVQ/viewform>

If you would like to attend the Harvard Forest Ecology Symposium on March
19, please use this separate link:
http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/symposium  (Please note, the symposium
often reaches capacity but the meeting will be live streamed.)

Lastly, thank you to everyone who has filled out John Besley's survey for
the PES @ LTERs project. We've heard that participation so far is a bit
low, so please respond to the survey via John's email soon if you can. This
survey will help us improve public engagement at Hubbard Brook and Harvard
Forest.

Thank you! Please let me know if you have any questions about these
upcoming meetings or the project as a whole.

Warm wishes,
Sarah

_______

As part of the Public Engagement with Science at LTER Sites project,
Marissa Weiss from Harvard Forest and I are organizing a "Collaborations
Incubator” and a workshop on Faming Science for Engagement. The Framing
Science session will feature a talk by Ezra Markowitz, assistant professor
of environmental decision-making at UMass Amherst, and we will workshop two
public engagement case studies, one from each site.

Harvard Forest and Hubbard Brook investigators, staff, and students are
invited to participate on March 20 at Harvard Forest - this is
strategically timed to also join our Harvard Forest colleagues in their
30th annual Harvard Forest Symposium on March 19.

Below is the draft agenda for the March 20 joint meeting.

RSVP to the March 20th Joint Meeting here.
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_forms_d_e_1FAIpQLScp7U5pfTvUQZLOUTr593GLsYnMO-2DAazEavMzYy8odPbr8TVQ_viewform-3Fusp-3Dsf-5Flink&d=DwMGaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=r4VSm1ZfCNH7kae1pBuYCNmQEmaWYrcIjvGBzjbV4fw&m=K2s4oAS7RiyXGx01edcs-ypnR-b_NxvCw0f54DfEn7g&s=GMXovU3JYKbBcoS8tWNFKTpJr5XpWZQbcGWqBALy4Sc&e=>

Please use this separate link to learn more about and RSVP to the March
19th Symposium: http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/symposium

DRAFT AGENDA: Collaborations Incubator & Framing Science for Engagement - A
Joint Meeting of Hubbard Brook and Harvard Forest Investigators
Harvard Forest
March 20, 2019
9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.:  Continental breakfast and mixer / icebreaker

9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Collaborations Incubator: PES at LTERs project update
followed by facilitated small- and full-group discussions about future
directions for collaborative research and public engagement at Hubbard
Brook and Harvard Forest.

12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Lunch

12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.: Words That Change Minds: Framing as a Strategic
Tactic for Science Communication: invited guest lecture from Ezra
Markowitz, FrameWorks Institute Fellow and assistant professor of
environmental decision-making at UMass Amherst (with introduction by John
Besley, professor of public engagement at Michigan State University and
PES at LTERs co-PI)

1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.: Framing in Action for Inspiring Engagement: Case
Study 1 - Changing our Nitrogen Story, Case Study 2: Forest Pests /
Resilient Forests: Discussion and group workshop about how we frame
research stories from Hubbard Brook and Harvard Forest.

2:30 p.m.: Adjourn

--
Sarah Garlick
Director of Science Policy and Outreach