[HubbardBrookCOS] Hubbard Brook Graduate Student Data Survey

Mary Martin mary.martin at unh.edu
Tue Feb 5 12:44:46 EST 2019

COS members,

I have send this message out twice to the Grad student list, and have
had had responses from only Ashley Lang, Stephanie Juice, and Jamie
Harrison. The /grad-only/ list goes to about 40 HB grad students who are
in the LTER directory. Some of those will be tagged as inactive shortly,
but I do know that ~30 are active.

Please help me by giving your students a nudge in this direction. The
form is very short, and I want to hear from all grads about any data
that they are collecting, and their use of existing long-term data. I
will follow up with all, and help them make a plan for preserving their
data, and getting any HB data into the data repository.

Thank you for your help,

Mary

Hubbard Brook Graduate Students,

Although HB is famous for collecting, preserving, and sharing some very
important long-term datasets, there are numerous
other data collected at HB that are just as important. Many of these
smaller and shorter term datasets are collected by
graduate students, and with your help, I would like to update our
inventory of these data, and work with you to make sure
that these data are preserved and cataloged.

Both funding agencies and publishers are ramping up requirements for
publication of datasets
in nationally recognized repositories. Within the LTER network, each
site has an Information Manager, who helps
researchers with this process. At Hubbard Brook, that's me! I've created
a survey form where you can tell me
a bit about the data you are collecting, and I will follow up with you
individually to discuss where I can be of help to you.

https://form.jotform.com/83314461335149
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__form.jotform.com_83314461335149&d=DwMGaQ&c=c6MrceVCY5m5A_KAUkrdoA&r=MFh2AWAPkX8OjEGF4DVna8dQkABhP70hNTqEBsmMib0&m=640hACSEeeOF-Km2m5Il_8XcBcPPs9Ef4Fs4XHnVmNY&s=p2FxqAOsQqZFGCYK7fgk4V1849821RVzEzAF_-As9vE&e=>

The Environmental Data Initiative (EDI) is the primary data repository
for LTER sites. They have some great resources that cover best practices
for managing and publishing your data:
https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/resources/five-phases-of-data-publishing/
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__environmentaldatainitiative.org_resources_five-2Dphases-2Dof-2Ddata-2Dpublishing_&d=DwMGaQ&c=c6MrceVCY5m5A_KAUkrdoA&r=MFh2AWAPkX8OjEGF4DVna8dQkABhP70hNTqEBsmMib0&m=640hACSEeeOF-Km2m5Il_8XcBcPPs9Ef4Fs4XHnVmNY&s=yvJIo-Ha0NsMFZ6X9f1795zfKryaef8EFtuGmNi92ns&e=>
I think you may find some helpful information there.

Feel free to contact me anytime if you need advice on data management.

I'm looking forward to working with you!

-Mary

Mary Martin
Hubbard Brook Information Manager
Earth Systems Research Center