[HubbardBrookCOS] Updating the Hubbard Brook Data Catalog

Mary Martin mary.martin at unh.edu
Mon Oct 8 16:11:41 EDT 2018

Committee of Scientists,

HBES follows the LTER practice of submitting datasets to the Environmental
Data Initiative (EDI) repository (a practice also being adopted by LTREB,
Macrosystems, and The Organization of Biological Field Stations.

We are in the process of restructuring our hubbardbrook.org website to
link directly to dataset landing pages on EDI.

The EDI landing pages provide a number of features that are not on our
local system, such as map of data location, full citation with permanent
digital object identifier (DOI), and automatic code generation for working
with each dataset. Reports on dataset access can be generated from EDI, to
include details on visits to dataset landing pages, metadata views, and
data downloads.

In the interest of minimizing the number of clicks/keystrokes between data
discovery and data download, HBES leadership and Information Manager
recommend that we eliminate the user form where we ask for voluntary
identity and intended data use.

This modernization of our data catalog will

1) Eliminate redundancy that we now have in maintaining a local data repository,
2) Leverage services provided by EDI to meet our data sharing requirements,
3) Accommodate NSF's preference for minimizing steps between data
discovery and access, and
4) Streamline our dataset preparation workflow.

There will be time to discuss this during the COS Business Meeting on
October 10, and questions concerns can be brought to our attention
beforehand via email to eithermary.martin at unh.edu  or
lovettg at caryinstitute.org

Mary Martin
Hubbard Brook Information Manager