[HubbardBrookCOS] Call for Nominations: External Science Advisor

John BATTLES jbattles at berkeley.edu
Wed May 30 15:45:53 EDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the SCC, we are inviting nominations for the important role of
external science advisor for the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study.

The term of the current external advisor, Dr. Ivan Fernandez, ends April
2019.

The role and duties of the advisor are described below. The appointments
are for three years. Thus the next term would begin at the July 2019 COS
meeting and end at the April 2022 COS meeting.

We will assemble nominations via email and then discuss them at the upcoming
 July COS meeting.

Regards,

SCC co-chairs

John and Pam

*Role:* The External Advisor serves a 3-year term, and becomes a member of
the Hubbard Brook community and the Science Coordinating Committee (SCC),
which is the steering committee for the project. The advisor provides
reviews and critiques of our current science, our plans for future work,
and other aspects of the functioning of the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study.
The Hubbard Brook Committee of Scientists (COS) meets quarterly, usually
either at Hubbard Brook or at the Cary Institute in Millbrook. The external
advisor is invited to all COS meetings with the expectation of attending at
least 1-2 per year. The typical COS meeting includes scientific “visioning”
sessions, in which we review current science and make plans for future
projects, as well as a short business session. As a non-voting member of
the SCC, the external advisor participates in the monthly 1-hr meeting via
video conference. Travel costs to COS meeting are reimbursed by the LTER
grant.

--
John J. Battles
UC Berkeley