[HubbardBrookCOS] Jan 2018: Hubbard Brook Monthly

Sarah Garlick sgarlick at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Mon Jan 1 21:16:45 EST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

Happy 2018! We’re trying out something new this year: the *Hubbard Brook
Monthly*, a regular newsletter sent out via this listserv to facilitate the
sharing of information across the growing Hubbard Brook community.

In this first January 2018 issue, we have included the following sections:
Recent Publications, Hubbard Brook in the News, Outreach and Education,
Save the Date, and Announcements. Future months will also feature New or
Proposed Research. If you have an item you'd like to see included in the
next issue, please send it to us no later than January 26 using the
following email address: sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org.

Thank you! We look forward to seeing many of you this week and hearing what
you think.

Clara Chaisson, Sarah Garlick, and Maribeth Rubenstein

*Recent Publications (Oct 2017–Jan 2018)*

Ayres, Matthew P. and María J. Lombardero. 2017. Forest pests and their
management in the Anthropocene <https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2017-0033>.
Canadian Journal of Forest Research, Published on the web 10 October 2017.

Battles, John J., Natalie L. Cleavitt, David S. Saah, Benjamin T. Poling,
and Timothy J. Fahey. 2017. Ecological impact of a microburst windstorm in
a northern hardwood forest. <https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2017-0206>
Canadian Journal of Forest Research 47: 1695–1701.

Berton, Rouzbeh, Charles T. Driscoll, and Jan F. Adamowski. 2017. The
near-term prediction of drought and flooding conditions in the northeastern
United States based on extreme phases of AMO and NAO
<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2017.07.041>. Journal of Hydrology 553:
130–141.

Bourgault, Rebecca R., Donald S. Ross, Scott W. Bailey, Thomas D. Bullen,
Kevin J. McGuire, and John P. Gannon. 2017. Redistribution of soil metals
and organic carbon via lateral flowpaths at the catchment scale in a
glaciated upland setting <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2017.05.039>.
Geoderma 307: 238–252.

Cleavitt, Natalie L., John J. Battles, Chris E. Johnson, and Timothy J.
Fahey. 2018. Long-term decline of sugar maple following forest harvest,
Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, New Hampshire
<https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2017-0233>. Canadian Journal of Forest
Research 48(1): 23–31.

Sorensen, Patrick O., Adrien C. Finzi, Marc-André Giasson, Andrew B.
Reinmann, Rebecca Sanders-DeMott, and Pamela H. Templer. 2018. Winter soil
freeze-thaw cycles lead to reductions in soil microbial biomass and
activity not compensated for by soil warming
<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2017.09.026>. Soil Biology and
Biochemistry 116: 39–47.

Yanai, Ruth D., Griffin E. Walsh, Yang Yang, Corrie A. Blodgett, Kikang
Bae, and Byung Bae Park. 2018. Nutrient concentrations of roots vary with
diameter, depth, and site in New Hampshire northern hardwoods
<https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2017-0223>. Canadian Journal of Forest
Research 48: 32–41.

If your publication is missing from this list, please let us know:
sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org

*Hubbard Brook in the News *

   - Popular Science: Scientists are enrolling trees in a wet bark contest
   to understand the effects of ice storms
   <https://www.popsci.com/climate-change-tree-ice-storm>
   - Associated Press: Snowmobile Season off to Good Start in Time of
   Warming
   <https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/vermont/articles/2017-12-17/snowmobile-season-off-to-good-start-in-time-of-warming>

*Outreach and Education Update*
*(Including recent and planned speaking engagements for public audiences,
community outreach events, and K–12 education involvement)*

Gary Lovett and Paul Schaberg presented at the Forest Ecosystem Monitoring
Cooperative (FEMC) conference on December 15 at the University of Vermont,
which focused on the theme: “Beyond Communication: Advocating for Science
and our Forests.” Click here to read their abstracts.
<https://www.uvm.edu/femc/cooperative/conference/2017/agenda>

*Imported Forest Pests: Science Applied to Policy*
Presenter: Gary Lovett, Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies

*How weather and other factors influence fall leaf color displays*
Presenter: Paul Schaberg, USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station

*Save the Date*

   - The next Committee of Scientists meeting will take place on *January 3
   and 4, 2018*, at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Millbrook,
   New York.
   - The April Committee of Scientists meeting will be a joint meeting with
   guests from the Harvard Forest on* April 11, 2018* at the Cary Institute
   of Ecosystem Studies in Millbrook, New York. The meeting theme is Public
   Engagement with Science, led by Sarah Garlick and Kathy Fallon Lambert.

*Announcements*

   - The Hubbard Brook Research Foundation is seeking undergraduate
   researchers for two paid internships at Hubbard Brook this summer. One
   intern will assist the vegetation team and the other will work with the
   hydropedology team. Applications are due January 31, 2018:
   https://hubbardbrook.org/articles/job-announcement-REU2018

Thank you for reading! We appreciate your patience as we continue to refine
our template to make this monthly update as beneficial and succinct as
possible. We welcome your constructive suggestions at:
sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org.

--
Sarah Garlick
Director of Science Policy and Outreach