[HubbardBrookCOS] W101

Campbell, John - FS jlcampbell at fs.fed.us
Fri Oct 20 12:11:01 EDT 2017

Dear COS members,

As discussed at the COS meeting last week, we plan to stop sampling stream chemistry in Watershed 101.  W101 was clearcut in 1970 and stream chemistry has been monitored weekly from 1969 to 1991 and monthly thereafter, except for a gap from 2000 to 2008.  No measurements of streamflow have been made.  The multi-element limitation study was established within W101 in 2011, which included additions of nitrogen (30 kg/ha/yr) and phosphorus (15 kg/ha/yr) in several 50x50 m plots.  There has been little (if any) demand for the W101 stream chemistry in recent years, and the nutrient additions have raised questions about the usefulness of the data.  If at any time there is interest in initiating a W101 experiment, we could resume sampling.  Please let me know if you have any objections to discontinuing this record.  Thanks, John

[Forest Service Shield]

John L. Campbell, PhD
Research Ecologist

Forest Service