[HubbardBrookCOS] Long-term foliar chemistry--which elements are key?

Nick Rodenhouse nrodenho at wellesley.edu
Tue Feb 21 08:18:32 EST 2017

The effect of Na on litter inverts (Kaspari et al 2017, Ecology
98(2):315-320) suggests to me that knowledge of Na availability and cycling
might be important for understanding food web composition and dynamics.
Studies done years ago at HB also suggested that Na might be limiting for
some vertebrates, e.g., deer, salamanders.

If I remember correctly Tom Siccama was convinced that Zn was an element
worth watching, but I do not remember why.

Nick