[HubbardBrookCOS] Hubbard Brook REU Site

Mark Green mbgreen at plymouth.edu
Tue Sep 13 10:01:14 EDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

We are following up on the discussion of the Hubbard brook REU site program
at the July COS meeting. We decided not to submit the proposal and instead
prepare ourselves for a stronger submission next August. There are a number
of ideas that we are developing, including a broader geographic scope
(upscaling from the Hubbard Brook valley), formalizing a mechanism for
partnering with neighboring groups like the White Mountain National Forest
and the Appalachian Mountain Club, shoring up our research mentoring teams
and topics, developing new partners to aid in student recruitment from
underrepresented groups and revisiting the partnership with the Hubbard
Brook Research Foundation and mechanisms to administer the program and
supervise housing. The Hubbard Brook REU program will continue next year
with LTER and project-based students, and we hope to expand that with a
newly funded site REU in 2018.  If you have a current NSF-funded grant and
would like to host an REU student at the site next summer we would be happy
to work with you on logistics for supporting those students.

We will be reaching out to many of you in the coming weeks and months about
the proposal. Please feel free to contact one of us if you have any
questions or ideas.

Thanks,

Mark Green

Scott Bailey