[HubbardBrookCOS] Dr. Gene Likens recognized by OBFS for Distinguished Service to Field Science

Rustad, Lindsey -FS lrustad at fs.fed.us
Fri Nov 11 14:51:37 EST 2016

Dear Hubbard Brookers,
In case you missed it, Dr. Gene Likens recently received the Organization of Biological Field Stations (OBFS) Award for Distinguished Service to Field Science.  I invite you all to join me in congratulating Gene on this prestigious award, and appreciating the recognition received for the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest.  During these difficult and uncertain times of transition to a new administration, it is important to remember the vital jobs we all have in monitoring and understanding ecosystem response to environmental change and stress.  Our work may become more challenging, but it will also become even more important and relevant to maintaining the health and sustainability of...our planet.  Let's stay positive, continue to do the best we can in our jobs, and find ways to jointly "pivot" the conversation to connect our work to societal issues that are important to all, regardless of  political divides.

Respectfully,
Lindsey Rustad

During the event, Dr. Gene Likens received the Organization of Biological Field Stations Award for Distinguished Service to Field Science by OBFS President Paul Foster. In his acceptance speech, Likens emphasized field stations ignite a lifelong spark of discovery in young people. He conducted research on pH, nitrogen and other environmental variables at Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest and ESF's Huntington Wildlife Forest among other sites. Studies by Likens and colleagues led to the discovery of acid rain, ultimately resulting in landmark national policy via amendments to the Clean Air Act of 1990 and improvements in air and water quality across the northeastern United States.

[https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuHqvywW8AA3aHM.jpg]

[Forest Service Shield]

Lindsey Rustad, PhD
Research Ecologist