[HubbardBrookCOS] Hubbard Brook SCC Meeting Notes & COS Meeting Schedule

Templer, Pamela H ptempler at bu.edu
Fri Jan 15 15:18:55 EST 2016

Dear Hubbard Brook Colleagues,

We've included below minutes from the last SCC meeting on January 6, 2016. The schedule for the next four COS meetings are included at the bottom.

We have great breaking news to share - Ivan Fernandez just kindly agreed to stay on for a second term as Hubbard Brook's external advisor.

In case you haven't heard, David Sleeper will step down as Executive Director of the Hubbard Brook Research Foundation this summer. We are currently searching for his replacement. Please distribute widely the attached job advertisement for the new Executive Director position at the HBRF.

All the best,

Pam Templer and John Battles
SCC Co-Chairs

January 6, 2016
Scientific Coordinating Committee Meeting Notes

Attending: John Battles, Pam Templer, Lynn Christenson, John Campbell, David Sleeper, Lindsey Rustad, Melany Fisk, Gary Lovett

Candidates for keynote address during Cooperator's Week (July 2016)
Need a speaker who can present to diverse audience, including scientists, the board, the public. David Sleeper will invite potential speaker.

Next Outside Adviser
Ivan Fernandez's first term ends April 2016. This role has a  three-year term. We will check in with Ivan to see if he wants to continue. Everyone agrees that he's done a really great job. He participates actively in Hubbard Brook meetings and provides constructive input.

Election for new SCC members
John Campbell and John Battles will organize election for March. John Campbell will call for nominations and check with candidates to confirm they want to run. For the first time we will use Survey Monkey, which enables anonymous voting. John Battles will create and distribute the survey.

Role of SCC in recruitment of new Executive Director at HBRF
Applications are currently being submitted for this position. The SCC offered to help if the Search Committee wants input. John and Pam will write to COS encouraging people to share the search ad with potential applicants.

Discussion of potential Adaptive Silviculture installation at Hubbard Brook
Lindsey Rustad will bring in Tony D'Amato to examine potential sites to see if using Hubbard Brook as one of the sites  is possible. The biggest challenge is funding since new funding would need to be obtained. The plan is to create a strategic plan to determine whether this kind of large-scale manipulation fits in with the long-term plans for Hubbard Brook.  Next steps: Tony D'Amato will visit Hubbard this winter/spring to examine potential sites. Lindsey will help coordinate new GIS map of all research at Hubbard Brook.

Upcoming COS meetings:
April 6, 2016 @ Cary Institute: Projected changes in precipitation (led by Asbjornsen, Rustad, Campbell & Templer)

July 15, 2016 @ HBEF: Graduate student presentations at field sites (led by Rebecca Sanders-DeMott)
Note: Annual Cooperator's Meeting is July 13-14, 2016

October 11, 2016 @ Cary Institute: Resilience (led by Lindsey Rustad?)

January 3-4, 2017 @ Cary Institute: Topic TBD

Pamela Templer, PhD
Associate Professor of Biology