[HubbardBrookCOS] Oak-Pine update

Nick Rodenhouse nrodenho at wellesley.edu
Tue Nov 17 12:56:29 EST 2015

Hi Nat,
Thanks very much for this interesting and useful summary.  I would like to
add a couple of thoughts.  That is that the relative palatability of oak
and white pine vs. northern hardwoods species to browsers may affect the
rate of colonization of the valley.  As the abundance of white tailed deer
increases in the valley, and they are most abundance at lower elevations,
they may be foraging preferentially on northern hardwood species: sugar
maple, striped maple, hobblebush and perhaps even yellow birch.  If this is
true, seedling and sapling growth and survival may be affected, perhaps
tipping the advantage to the colonizing species.  In addition, it would not
surprise me if American turkey are having some impact too as they feed on
beech seeds and germinating seedlings.  Due to BBD, the abundance of beech
mast, even in most mast years, may no longer exceed what can be consumed by
its myriad seed predators.

All the best,
Nick

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 9:30 PM, Natalie Laura Cleavitt <nlc4 at cornell.edu>
wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>

> I always thought Tom's "Dear Associates" letters were a pretty neat way to
> update everyone.
>
> In that vein, I drafted a summary of our oak-pine sentry transects, which
> several of you have expressed interest in.
>
> Mary Martin will be posting a version of this write up on the HB website,
> but I am sending along a PDF version FYI.
>
> I see lots of room for cool collaboration with heterotroph research,
> especially with acorn dispersal.
>
> Thanks to Tim for edits.
>
> I look forward to any feedback you may have,
>
> nat
> Research Associate
> Dept. Natural Resources
> Cornell University