[HubbardBrook] Can we make a web-app using your data?

JP Gannon jpgannon at vt.edu
Tue Nov 7 07:45:27 EST 2023

Hello Hubbard Brook Community!

It's time for my yearly call for anyone who might want a web app made with
their data. This is year 5! For those who are unfamiliar: every year, I
recruit a few Hubbard Brook-affiliated scientists to work with students in
my Environmental Data Science capstone class to develop a web-app using
their data.

Do you have data that you would like to make more accessible to a broader
community? Would it be helpful to have a dashboard you could use to explore
some of your data? Do you have an idea for an app, using Hubbard Brook
data, that could be used in classrooms? How about a problem I haven't
mentioned, that maybe could be solved with an app interface? (Need
inspiration? Here is a comprehensive gallery
<https://shiny.posit.co/r/gallery/>of what the platform we use can do.)

If so, please reach out! I'll put more details below for those interested,
but this is a very low time commitment for you, you get a working web app
at the end, and you help some students graduate!

Some examples from class for inspiration:
A dashboard for exploration of Cave Drop and Discharge data
<https://vt-eds.shinyapps.io/S23-EDS-CaveDrips/>
A way for younger students to explore the hydrologic system at Hubbard
Brook and look at different weather/climate scenarios
<https://vt-eds.shinyapps.io/S23-WaterViz/>
Explore some tree / fungi relationship data
<https://vt-eds.shinyapps.io/S23-EDS-Fungi/>
Explore phenology trends at the Great Smoky Mountain National Park
<https://vt-eds.shinyapps.io/Phenology-EDS23/>

How this works:

   - E-mail me (jpgannon at vt.edu) with your idea(s): fully formed or just
   "maybe something like this?"
   - We will discuss whether the project will work for the learning
   outcomes of the class.
   - If selected, you will meet with the students in class (via zoom) in
   late January/early February to tell them what you want and explain your data
   - I gate keep communication between the students and you. I try to
   answer any questions first, and we will only reach out to you if it is
   genuinely necessary
   - Meet with the students midway through the semester for a progress
   update
   - Provide feedback on the final draft of the app
   - Ideally attend the student presentations at the end of the semester
   (remotely)
   - Use your new app!

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing your ideas!
JP

Dr. J.P. Gannon (he/him)
Collegiate Associate Professor of Environmental Data Science
Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation
Virginia Tech
@jp_gannon <https://twitter.com/jp_gannon>
Personal Website <http://jpgannon.github.io>