[HubbardBrook] A Loss in the Cary Community -- Notifying Hubbard Brook Community

Christine L. Goodale clg33 at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 10 13:55:51 EDT 2023

Dear Hubbard Brook community members,

We’re writing to share news of the recent loss of Jon Cole, Emeritus Distinguished Scientist at the Cary Institute and an early resident at Pleasant View Farm during his Ph.D. research days. The message that went out to the Cary community is below.

We share our sympathies to his family, friends, and colleagues at Cary, Hubbard Brook, and the world beyond.

Christy and Lynn, SCC Co-Chairs

It is with a heavy heart that I share my discovery last evening that our friend and colleague, and Emeritus Senior Scientist, Jon Cole, passed away on Tuesday this week.

My last conversation with Jon was in early May, when he submitted his request for reappointment as Emeritus Senior Scientist, and we had a back and forth about life.  We all know how active Jon and Nina have always been in their kitesurfing and various water adventures, and in early May Jon told me that he was going to the gym and still kiteboarding.

Since Jon retired, I’ve been able to keep up with his adventures via his Facebook page, where he kept us all entertained and informed of various adventures, his political opinions, and even some movie reviews…..all with his usual flare.

I include here the very brief obituary<https://gallopfuneralservices.com/obits/jonathan-j-cole/>.

I’m sad to be the bearer of this news, but wanted you all to know, and it’s sometimes easier to grieve such a loss among the community in which we all spend our days, years, and decades in some cases.

Deb

Deborah M. Fargione

Assistant to the President

Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies

PO Box AB [2801 Sharon Turnpike]

Millbrook NY  12545

Phone:   845.677.7600, ext. 106

Email:     fargioned at caryinstitute.org<mailto:fargioned at caryinstitute.org>

Web:      www.caryinstitute.org<http://www.caryinstitute.org/>

“There’s a wonderful Zen parable,” Kroodsma says… “If you listen to the thrush and hear a thrush, you've not really heard the thrush. But if you listen to a thrush and hear a miracle, then you've heard the thrush.”