[HubbardBrook] Want an app to view/analyze your data? VT Data Science Students can help!

JP Gannon jpgannon at vt.edu
Mon Nov 28 14:23:34 EST 2022

Hello Everyone!

I am writing to see if anyone is interested in having an interactive
web-app built to help visualize or analyze their data. If you think you
might be interested please read on! It is pretty low-commitment from your
end: you just provide us the data and meet with students a few times during
the semester to help direct the effort and answer questions.

Each year, the Environmental Data Science capstone class at Virginia Tech
tackles data visualization and/or analysis projects over the course of the
spring semester. Students work with scientists to develop web-based
applications that allow the scientists or the public to more easily
visualize, interact with, analyze, or develop models using their data.

We are looking for projects for spring 2023! If you have a dataset that you
would like to make more accessible to others: for teaching, exploration,
analysis or anything else(!), please send me an e-mail at jpgannon at vt.edu!

In the past, we have built several apps that help visualize large and/or
complex datasets using a web-based gui. Two examples from last year
are the flux
tower data viewer <http://198.82.212.36/fluxapp/> and the adaptive
silviculture experiment data viewer <http://198.82.212.36/hbTree/>. We have
also developed a couple apps that help more on the data analysis or even
collection side of things. Last year students built an app for Nat Cleavitt
that calculates the most efficient path for her to take to visit selected
orchids in the field. Finally a few years ago students built an app that
allowed users to compare the output from multiple approaches to gap-filling
time series data from groundwater wells in watershed 3.

The students are really talented! And I work closely with them to try to
ensure they build something useful and that it doesn't take much of your
time!

Sincerely,

JP

Dr. J.P. Gannon (he/him)
Collegiate Assistant Professor of Environmental Data Science
Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation
Virginia Tech
@jp_gannon <https://twitter.com/jp_gannon>
Personal Website <http://jpgannon.github.io>