[HubbardBrook] Pre-Registration Message - Hubbard Brook Annual Meeting 2022

Hazel Westney westneyh at caryinstitute.org
Thu May 12 17:04:13 EDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

After much deliberation, the Scientific Coordinating Committee determined
that this year's Annual Meeting (July 13-14) and Quarterly Project Meeting
(July 15) will be held in-person at the Merrill Place Conference Center at
Plymouth State University (PSU). This relatively new meeting space is
well-designed for a group program such as ours. Optional onsite lodging is
also available. I will be sending the formal registration announcement,
with links to the registration form and PSU's lodging portal, shortly. The
purpose of this email is to explain how the meeting will be organized this
year.

Although the meeting portions of the event will be held at the conference
center, there will be ample time spent together at Hubbard Brook
Experimental Forest, in keeping with tradition! We hope you will attend the
cook-out and barn dance the evening of July 13 and informal field trips the
afternoon of July 14.

[image: image.png] Merrill Place Conference Center

[image: image.png]  Meeting Room

*COVID-19: * At the present time there is no mask requirement for Plymouth
State buildings. However, we ask that this be a "mask-friendly" event in
keeping with Cary Institute guidance, which is:

   - to wear a mask in any group meeting;
   - to show respect to individuals who choose to wear a mask; and
   - to wear a mask and/or maintain distance if asked to do so.

We will open the meeting room doors to the outside to maximize the flow of
fresh air (weather permitting). Breakfast and lunch will be served
buffet-style in the lobby area adjacent to the meeting room. There will be
some outdoor seating for meals if you would like that option. We
will continue to monitor the pandemic and will provide updated guidance, as
needed, closer to the event.

*Registration Fee:*  Please note that we are charging one registration fee,
heavily subsidized by the National Science Foundation LTER grant. The
single $100 fee contributes to the extra costs incurred this year by
hosting the event at an offsite venue, and includes breakfasts, lunches,
and the cook-out and barn dance.

*Presentation Sign-up:*  If you would like to give a talk at the meeting,
please sign up on the registration form (arriving in the next email). If
you know that you would like to present, but do not yet have a title or
abstract prepared, there is a box that you can check allowing you to
provide more details later. What is most important is to register early and
indicate your interest in giving a talk early, as well. This will help
immensely with our planning!

*Optional Onsite Lodging:  *Please note that all rooms in PSU's Merrill
Place Residence Hall, adjacent to the Conference Center, are very basic
dormitory-style. They offer air conditioning, wireless internet connection,
and writing desks, but no amenities. A pillow is provided, but guests must
either bring their own linens or reserve a PSU linen packet (sheets, a
blanket, and a cotton towel set) at an additional cost. Toiletries and hair
dryers are not provided. You will find a link to the PSU lodging
portal provided
on the registration announcement (arriving in your Inbox soon).

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]

Keep an eye out for the next email and *please register early!  *It will be
very helpful for planning purposes to know as soon as possible how many
will be attending, and who would like to give a talk.

Please feel free to forward this email--as well as the next email
containing links to the registration form and PSU lodging portal--to anyone
interested!

Thank you,
Hazel

*Hazel Westney*
*Assistant, Long-term Ecological Research Projects*
*Administrator, Campus Housing Program*
*Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies*
*PO Box AB / **2801 Sharon Turnpike*
*Millbrook NY 12545*
*845.677.7600 extension 171 / **westneyh at caryinstitute.org
<westneyh at caryinstitute.org>*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I live along the Mahicannituck, the waters that are never still, on
ancestral land of the Indigenous Muhheconneok and Munsee people.