[HubbardBrook] Hubbard Brook Reads Braiding Sweetgrass, Discussion #2 on Two-Eyed Seeing

Denise Burchsted dburchsted at keene.edu
Mon Mar 7 00:13:04 EST 2022

Dear Hubbard Brook Friends and Colleagues,

Greetings! I hope this email finds you well.

I am writing, on behalf of the Indigenous Knowledge & Networking committee, to invite you to participate in a second discussion of the book Braiding Sweetgrass<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17465709-braiding-sweetgrass>, by Dr. Robin Wall Kimmerer<https://www.robinwallkimmerer.com/about>. By popular demand, after a lively and enlightening conversation last November, we will host a follow-up discussion later this month.

If you are interested in joining, please provide your availability on this meeting poll<https://www.when2meet.com/?14865518-MHPgo>, no later than Friday, March 11.

This discussion will focus on the broad theme of "Two-Eyed Seeing." We have chosen two short chapters and corresponding themes<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-h926S6hGA1JByJak5kja_wQEuAXBvFdhqkvVUoJzt0/edit?usp=sharing> to explore the concept of two-eyed seeing, which considers our relationship with the environment through the lens of both Indigenous and modern scientific worldviews.

Each of the two chapters for this discussion take approximately 15 minutes to read. (I occasionally ask students to read one of these chapters during class, and so far all of them have completed the reading within a 15-minute window).

Given the low cost of attendance, we hope that many members of our broad community will join us. And so would you also please share this notice with students and other colleagues who might be interested? Thank you in advance for passing the word along.

Thank you, also, for considering joining, and we hope to see you soon for the zoom conversation
    ~ denise

The two themes & their corresponding chapters for this discussion on Two-Eyed Seeing

Theme #1: Applying Indigenous ecological principles to modern ecosystem science and land management.
Chapter to focus on: Mishkos Kenomagwen: The Teachings of Grass

Discussion questions: Does this study challenge or confirm your view of the human role in ecosystems? Does it challenge the basic tenets of conservation? (Is there a basic tenet of conservation that ecosystems require the absence of human interference in order to thrive?) Should we adjust our way of viewing ecosystems and conservation based on studies like this one?

Theme #2: Animacy of ecosystems, where the “abiotic” components of ecosystems are seen as having as much life force as humans and the “biotic” components are recognized as people, other than human.
Chapter to focus on: Learning the Grammar of Animacy

Discussion questions: Does the concept of animacy appeal to you? Upset you? Seem fundamentally unscientific? Can the idea of animacy of the world be reconciled with scientific worldviews?

Suggestions for other chapters relevant to these themes and Hubbard Brook

  *   Some hydrology, a dash of stream ecology, moss: Witness to the Rain
  *   Wisgaak Gokpenagen: A Black Ash Basket
  *   Asters and Goldenrod
  *   In the Footsteps of Nanabozho: Becoming Indigenous to Place
  *   Relationships among people vs. land management: Burning cascade head

--

denise burchsted (she, her<https://www.diversitycenterneo.org/about-us/pronouns/>), Associate Professor of Environmental Studies
Chair, Department of Environmental & Sustainability Studies

Book a meeting with me: https://bit.ly/profburchsted

I live and work in unceded territory of the Abenaki, the Wabanaki (Dawnland) confederacy, and their ancestors of over 12,000 years. I acknowledge their stewardship, in relationship with this Land, for millenia.

I consider us to be equals. Therefore, my writing follows the same rules for both of us: you and i.