[HubbardBrook] Upcoming Events -- Native American Heritage Month

Hazel Westney westneyh at caryinstitute.org
Mon Nov 8 12:31:37 EST 2021

Hello all,

Please note the following upcoming events honoring National Native American
Heritage Month 2021 (all listings are Eastern Time):

*Nov 10 @ 7:00 pm *and* 9:00 pm:* Two showings of the world premiere of the
new Upstander Project film, *BOUNTY* *regarding bounties for the scalps of
Penobscot people, provided by government decree. Watch this short trailer
to learn more about the film: bountyfilm.org. Join Penobscot Nation Tribal
Ambassador Maulian Dana, film participant Dawn Neptune Adams (Penobscot),
and filmmaker and Upstander Project director Adam Mazo for a conversation
after each showing.
7:00 pm registration:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bounty-live-world-premiere-qa-tickets-172805153867?aff=UPsitebanner
9:00 pm registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/203984151087/

*Nov 11 @ 7:00 pm: *Saint Anselm College presents Indigenous Peoples and
the Merrimack River.  Sherry Gould, Tribal Genealogist in the Nulhegan Band
of Coosuk Abenaki will speak about what rivers and wetlands meant to
Abenaki people historically and their cultural importance today. Dr. Robert
Goodby, Professor of Anthropology at Franklin Pierce University,
archaeologist with over 30 years of experience excavating Native American
sites in New England, and author of *A Deep Presence: 13,000 Years of
Native American History* (2021) will speak about what the archaeological
record tells us about the importance of rivers to Native Americans.
*Location:* Saint Anselm College, Jean Student Center and by Zoom link:
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/88387129865
<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fus06web.zoom.us%2Fj%2F88387129865&data=04%7C01%7Cdburchsted%40keene.edu%7C3d31e09c0127496bf17a08d99d47d9a7%7Cd6241893512d46dc8d2bbe47e25f5666%7C0%7C0%7C637713755091895453%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&sdata=Ls9KgWOuEZFNBIplvYuUg1Lo7gV%2BP7tyQthYFSM8%2B6o%3D&reserved=0>
Passcode: 195398.  No registration required.

*Nov 13 *from *10:00 am *-* 6:00 pm:* New Hampshire's annual indigenous
storytelling festival, *Dawnland StoryFest*:
https://www.strawberybanke.org/events/dawnland-storyfest.cfm
<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.strawberybanke.org%2Fevents%2Fdawnland-storyfest.cfm&data=04%7C01%7Cdburchsted%40keene.edu%7C8f8151095145464f7d3908d99af131fe%7Cd6241893512d46dc8d2bbe47e25f5666%7C0%7C0%7C637711184462891545%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=w6p8oZBkgoxIX%2FUhOPgtEGYkT%2BTyb8rSjfa6vYVAwI4%3D&reserved=0>
  Participants attending this virtual event listen to a keynote address by
Louise Profeit-LeBlanc, co-founder of the Yukon International Storytelling
Festival, and hear traditional Indigenous storytellers from New England and
Canada.

*Nov 16 @ 7:00 pm:* New Hampshire PBS presents *Surviving New England’s
Great Dying*: https://nhpbs.org/events/?feat=4693#4693
It’s been more than 400 years since the first Thanksgiving, and there is a
lot we are still learning about that time. Just prior to the Pilgrims’
arrival, a plague decimated New England’s coastal Native American
population, altering the course of colonialism. This is the story of the
Great Dying and of how tribal leaders are learning from the past as they
deal with the effects of today’s pandemic. After the half-hour screening,
NH History teacher and host of the long-running NH PBS high school quiz
show Granite State Challenge will moderate a conversation with documentary
producers Phil Vaughn and Jim Smith.

*Nov 18 *and* 20 (Maine Public TV) *and* Nov 29 (Rhode Island PBS):*
Various screenings of another Upstander Project film, *Dawnland*
<https://upstanderproject.org/dawnland>, regarding the Maine Truth and
Reconciliation process for the removal of Wabanaki children from their
homes, to "save them from being Indian".
To learn more:  https://dawnland.org/screenings/
 https://upstanderproject.org/dawnland
<https://upstanderproject.org/dawnland> and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7V1fMzMj3E

[image: image.png]                                       [image: image.png]

     [image: image.png]

[image: image.png]          [image: image.png]

** Notes regarding BOUNTY: "Here is the synopsis of the film, by Dawn
Neptune Adams, Maulian Dana, Adam Mazo, Ben Pender-Cudlip, and Tracy
Rector: We are citizens of the Penobscot Nation. For this film, we bring
our families to Boston to read our ancestors’ death warrant. This abhorrent
proclamation, made in 1755 by the colonial government, paid settlers
handsomely to murder Penobscot people. It declared our people enemies and
offered different prices for the scalps of children, women, and men. Bounty
proclamations like this, some even paid in stolen land, persisted for more
than two centuries across what is now the United States. The memory of
being hunted is in our blood. We know this to be true, and the science now
affirms that trauma can be passed down from generation to generation. In
BOUNTY we step into the future together with our children into the
colonizer’s hall of injustice, to read their hateful words and tell the
truth about what was done to our ancestors. We exercise our power by
sharing the horrors of this hard history as an act of resistance,
remembrance, and a step toward justice."*

*Additional notes from Denise: "An incredibly well-documented timeline, to
supplement Bounty: https://www.bountyfilm.org/timeline
<https://www.bountyfilm.org/timeline>*
*The timeline includes 69 State proclamations (mostly Massachusetts and New
Hampshire) that provided government bounties for Indigenous scalps in the
Dawnland. The timeline also includes a basic outline of the century of
invasion by the settlers into Abenaki territory, and it provides examples
of claims made by settlers for the scalps of the Indigenous men, women, and
children that had been presented to the State for compensation. In
particular, there is more history here regarding the Pemijoasik massacre,
which adds and changes a lot regarding what i have understood so far, along
with a little bit of history regarding Winnipesaukee, too. A lot is also
here regarding the Pequawket and some regarding the Pennacook. (These are
the larger groups most directly relevant to the White Mountain history and
ecosystem. The Pequawket were along the Saco and traveled west to and
through the Whites. The Pennacook were largely along the Merrimack and
traveled north.)"*

Thank you.

*Hazel Westney*
*Assistant, Long-term Ecological Research Projects*
*Administrator, Campus Housing Program*
*Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies*
*PO Box AB / **2801 Sharon Turnpike*
*Millbrook NY 12545*
*845.677.7600 extension 171 / **westneyh at caryinstitute.org
<westneyh at caryinstitute.org>*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I live along the Mahicannituck, the waters that are never still, on
ancestral land of the indigenous Muhheconneok and Munsee people.