[HubbardBrook] LeafByte: a free iOS app for measuring leaf area and herbivory

Charlotte Levy clevy2013 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 08:00:00 EDT 2019

Forwarded on behalf of a collaborator:
Dear friends and colleagues,

For the last year, I have been working with a software engineer to develop
an iOS *app that measures leaf area and herbivory quickly and accurately*.
I am proud to announce that our app, LeafByte
<https://zoegp.science/leafbyte>, is now available for *free* in the App
Store <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leafbyte/id1362985339?mt=8>. Snap a
picture of a leaf and printed scale, and LeafByte will measure the total
leaf area, leaf area consumed, and percent leaf area consumed in any units.

LeafByte has a lot of useful features, such as *saving all your data
automatically *to Google Sheets or as a csv file on your phone. LeafByte can
work non-destructively, and it can read and record barcodes and record your
location. LeafByte measures most leaf shapes and sizes (needles and very
lacy leaves are a challenge), and can measure dark leaves or flower petals
on a white background, or light leaves or flower petals on a dark
background.

Learn more about LeafByte on our website
<https://zoegp.science/leafbyte>,  download
it in the App Store
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leafbyte/id1362985339?mt=8> or access the
free and open source code here <https://github.com/akroy/leafbyte>. Please
forward this to any friends or colleagues you think might benefit from
using it. If you use it and like it, please let us know or leave a review
in the App Store
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leafbyte/id1362985339?mt=8>. Don't
hesitate to reach out if you have questions, concerns or suggestions for
improvement.

Best,
Zoe Getman-Pickering, PhD Candidate