[HubbardBrook] Flux Puppy, an open-source Android app for chamber-based flux measurements

Andrew Richardson Andrew.Richardson at nau.edu
Wed Apr 24 16:07:08 EDT 2019

Dear Hubbard Brook colleagues -

I am writing to let you know about an open-source Android app that we developed as part of an undergraduate computer science capstone project, and which I think may be of interest to ecologists and soil scientists working at Hubbard Brook.

The app, named Flux Puppy,  is designed to facilitate chamber-based CO2 and H2O flux measurements using a LiCor 820/830/840/850 series IRGA and an inexpensive Android tablet. The name of the app, Flux Puppy, was inspired by the “Gas Hound” nickname of the original LI-COR LI-800 and the children’s book Snuggle Puppy, by Sandra Boynton. The Flux Puppy code is available through Github, https://github.com/bnasr/FluxPuppy and we hope that the community will contribute to ongoing development of this software.

The journal article describing the Flux Puppy app and the portable measurement system (the “Dog House”, illustrated below) we designed is published open access in AFM:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168192319301522

Because the system facilitates low-cost manual flux measurements, we hope it will be a valuable contribution to the literature.

We encourage you to download the code and take Flux Puppy for a walk. And, if you do find the application useful, let us know — we’ll send you a Flux Puppy sticker!

Best wishes
Andrew

[cid:19DB1A1B-81BA-4379-89F5-7C753F8F74F4 at egr.nau.edu]