[HubbardBrook] Inviation to Support the Campaign for Mirror Lake from the HB Scientific Coordinating Committee

Lavallee Anthea alavallee at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Mon Mar 27 16:36:14 EDT 2017

*Announcing the 2017 $50,000 Mirror Lake Campaign Challenge*

The Hubbard Brook Scientific Coordinating Committee is delighted to report
that a long-time friend will contribute a dollar-for-dollar match, up to
$50,000 by July 1st, toward full ownership of our shoreline property at
Mirror Lake. This campaign is in honor of Gene and Phyllis Likens and, as
members of the Hubbard Brook community, we invite you to unlock these
much-needed funds.

Each year, scientist housing at Mirror Lake accommodates more than 100
researchers, technicians, and students who live and work communally as
participants in the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study. If you’ve spent time at
Hubbard Brook, you know how essential these facilities are to the
collaborative spirit that makes our work so special.

In 2004, to protect the land and the lake from high-density condominium
development, the Hubbard Brook Research Foundation raised $3.135 million in
emergency loans and philanthropy to purchase the 19-acre shoreline
property. The undeveloped portion was transferred to our partners at the
U.S. Forest Service, and existing cottages were converted into research
housing, laboratory space, and scientist storage. Mirror Lake is among the
most studied freshwater ecosystems in the world and a cornerstone of Dr.
Gene E. Likens' seminal theories about air-land-water interactions.
Enhanced fundraising efforts led by Dr. Likens over the past 2 years have
reduced the remaining property loan to $153,000. If successful, our current
campaign will go a long way toward achieving full ownership. Participation
from 100% of our community would make a bold statement of support for
Hubbard Brook. As investigators from more than 25 institutions across the
country, we know that our work is amplified through research partnerships
that begin at Hubbard Brook. The Forest and facilities provide the common
ground that brings us together. We ask you today to invest in a resource
that facilitates cooperative science at Hubbard Brook.

Although any amount will be terrific, please consider a substantial gift of
$250, $500, $1,000, or more. Make your gift online today by clicking the
link below, or mail a check to the Hubbard Brook Research Foundation with
“Mirror Lake” in the memo line.

*http://hubbardbrookfoundation.org/donate/
<http://hubbardbrookfoundation.org/donate/>*

Yours truly,

John Battles,   Lynn Christenson,   Ivan Fernandez,
Melany Fisk,   Anthea Lavallee,   Gary Lovett,  Pam Templer

PS.  Let’s plan to toast the successful challenge together this July at our
annual Cooperators’ Meeting!

Hubbard Brook Research Foundation
32 Pleasant Street
Woodstock, VT 05091