[HubbardBrook] Need for a document archive

Nick Rodenhouse nrodenho at wellesley.edu
Tue Dec 19 15:44:19 EST 2017

HBES COS members,

I believe that there is a critical need to create a document archive for
the HBES.  Only some projects may need this now, but others might in the
future.  At present Tom Siccama's papers are in the garage at PVF and
exposed to insects, small mammals and humid conditions that foster mold.
The bird project has 8 filing cabinets of long-term data that cannot be
scanned.  These data and documents cannot be accommodated in the present
USFS archive or at one of our home institutions.  Consequently, I
suggested, and the HBRF is considering, creating a document archive.

In addition to the need for a document archive, the bird project also needs
storage space for about 2,500 petri dishes with insect samples collected by
using Malaise traps.

One potential solution to these needs is the purchase of a modified storage
container (photo attached; see additional images of the interior and
climate control at:

(https://www.miniwarehousing.com/office-containers)

​

This structure is a modified, new 8' x 20' storage container of 10-ga
steel, which is likely more bug and small mammal proof than our current
archive.  It is insulated to slow changes in temperature (and hence
condensation inside) and has air conditioning for periods of extreme
weather (cold is not a problem, heat is).  A container like this would be
positioned on concrete pillars and would probably last at least 10 years;
longer if a roof that prevented water from pooling on the top was added.

It seems that an Office Container would provide plenty of space for known
needs, but I am writing to determine if you or your project would like
space in such an archive: for documents or fragile samples.  To determine
how much space is available in an 8' x 20' container, begin with the size
of a 4-drawer filing cabinet, which is:  H x W x D = 53" x 15" x 30".  The
length of the Office Container (pictured) is 20' (240"), which allows 15
filing cabinet side by side.  The container is 8' (96") wide allowing a row
of filing cabinets on each side with 36" between the rows, which is plenty
of space for opening the cabinets.  Height of the container is 8.5' (102"),
so sample boxes could be stored above or on the filing cabinets. There is
about 40" of space above each 4-drawer filing cabinet and storage boxes are
typically 11" tall, so three of these could be stacked above each cabinet.
In sum, an 8' x 20' Office Container could hold about at a minimum 25
filing cabinets and 75 storage boxes.  A 40' container would double this
amount of space.

Please let me know if you have a present need for a document archive or
foresee having a need for such space in the future.

Thanks very much for your thoughts
Nick

-
Nicholas L. Rodenhouse
Professor Emeritus of Biological Sciences
106 Central Street
Wellesley, MA 02481
Phone 781-283-3557
email: nrodenho at wellesley.edu