[HubbardBrook] Hubbard Brook Information Management Update

Mary Martin mem at gromit.sr.unh.edu
Tue Mar 29 16:51:45 EDT 2016

Hubbard Brook Community,

Let me begin with a big 'Thank You' to all of our data contributors!!!
There has recently been a big push for new data packages, and updates to
our
longterm datasets. You can explore the data catalog here:
http://hubbardbrook.org/data/dataset_search.php

Some Hubbard Brook Data Catalog highlights....
- Since 2013, 32 new data packages have been added (with ~20 more by
this summer).

- The Forest Floor team has restructured their datasets to improve
usability -
     a common format has been implemented throughout the time series,
and all
     years combined into a single data set for each watershed. We hope to do
     something similar with the vegetation inventory datasets.

- More keywords have been added to the metadata to improve data searches.

- Data have been reorganized on the website by theme.

- Additional search options can select 'Significant' datasets, and select
     by LTER Core Area.

- All GIS data have been updated to shapefiles (vector) or GeoTiff
(raster), and
     have been re-projected to UTM Zone 19 Nad83.
http://hubbardbrook.org/gis/

- All Hubbard Brook data are also in the LTER Network Information System
(NIS). Here is an example:
https://portal.lternet.edu/nis/mapbrowse?scope=knb-lter-hbr&identifier=2
     Note that you can obtain a data DOI for each dataset from the
LTER-NIS - I recommend
     this good read from James Brunt at the LTER Network Office,
describing the advantages
     of data DOI use in publications:
http://lno.lternet.edu/content/get-more-visibility-and-impact-your-research-data-citation

-  A few more species lists are online - check back for bryophytes,
lichens and mammals soon!
http://hubbardbrook.org/data/SpeciesLists/

Please check the online list of Hubbard Brook publications to make sure
that your recent
publications have been included: http://hubbardbrook.org/pubs/pub_search.php

And finally, be sure to let me know if you have data to submit. There
have been several recent
situations where publishers have required online data access at the time
of publication,
so it's never to early to get started! Your data package can be prepared
in advance, and
ready to go public when your paper is in press.

I hope everyone has a great field season at Hubbard Brook!
-Mary

Mary Martin
Hubbard Brook Information Manager
Earth Systems Research Center