[HeliosphereNews] September 6 Newsletter

Nikolai Pogorelov np0002 at uah.edu
Thu Sep 6 12:15:56 EDT 2018

Heliosphere News - September 6, 2018

http://heliospherenews.unh.edu/

A newsletter devoted to Heliospheric Science.

Editor: Nathan Schwadron (nschwadron at unh.edu) Co-Editor: Mihir Desai
(mdesai at swri.edu) Co-Editor: Eric Zirnstein (ejz at princeton.edu)
Co-Editor: Merav Opher (mopher at bu.edu) Co-Editor: Nick Pogorelov (np0002
at uah.edu)

Web site editor: Ken Fairchild (Ken.Fairchild at unh.edu)

If you are interested in being added to the list, being removed from the
list, or posting an announcement, please send information to Nathan, Mihir,
Eric, Merav, or Nick. Posts are limited to ascii text. Newsletters are
archived on the following website: http://heliospherenews.unh.edu/.

******************* Announcements *******************

1. MEETING: International Workshop on 'Particle Acceleration and Transport:
>From the Sun to Extragalactic Sources', 12-16 November 2018, Universita
Della Calabria, Rende, Italy

2. MEETING: 18th Annual International Astrophysics Conference, February
18-22, 2019, Pasadena, California, USA. Second announcement.

3. OPPORTUNITY: Heliophysics POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER Opportunity at SwRI,
San Antonio

4. OPPORTUNITY: PhD POSITION in Heliosphere Physics and Space
Instrumentation at the University of Bern, Switzerland.

******************

1. MEETING: International Workshop on 'Particle Acceleration and Transport:
>From the Sun to Extragalactic Sources', 12-16 November 2018, Universita
Della Calabria, Rende, Italy

The University of Calabria will host the international workshop on 'Particle
acceleration and transport: from the Sun to extragalactic sources' on 2018
November 12-16 (http://astroplasmas.unical.it/workshop2018/)

Scientific rationale:

The workshop aims at presenting recent research on the longstanding problems
of particle acceleration and transport in different astrophysical
environments, such as the Sun, the heliosphere, galactic sources, and
extragalactic sources. The purpose is to bring together experts in the
fields of cosmic ray physics, plasma turbulence, acceleration processes, and
particle transport, in order to stimulate cross-fertilization and to
exchange scientific information among different areas. Indeed, the basic
theoretical framework adopted to describe particle acceleration and
transport is common to all those fields but the properties of the
environments change noticeably. In addition, in-situ and remote observations
often question the validity of the standard theories and prompt for further
investigations to be interpreted. The availability of large datasets from
new instrumentations and recent theoretical and numerical studies give the
opportunity to advance the models and possibly to answer some of the basic
unresolved issues. Exchange of ideas among the various fields would
certainly speed up this process.

We strongly encourage to present to the different communities recent,
pioneering observations, theories, and models that try to explain and
describe processes of particle acceleration and transport. We try to bring
together scientists who would like to understand what is happening beyond
their field of specialty.

In order to promote an efficient exchange of ideas among different fields,
each research area (solar, heliospheric, galactic, and extragalactic
physics) will be introduced by a 40 minutes broad review talk. The majority
of the talks will be upon invitation (30 minutes each), and at the end of
each day a time slot of about 45 minutes will be dedicated to open
discussions on the daily sessions led by a couple of scientists.

Contributed talks and poster presentations will be organized.

Main Topics:

-Observations of energetic particles in the solar, heliospheric, galactic
and extragalactic environments

-Properties of cosmic ray transport and acceleration from in-situ and remote
observations

-Solar flares, Crab flares, flaring phenomena in astrophysics

-Shock acceleration: problems and advances

-Particle acceleration in magnetic reconnection, including the relativistic
regimes

-Particle acceleration in accretion flows and relativistic jets

-Transport and acceleration in non-linear regimes

-Magnetic turbulence in astrophysical plasmas: properties from large to
small scales and effects on particle transport

-Theoretical models and numerical simulations of particle transport and
acceleration

SOC: Silvia Perri (Chair, Universita della Calabria, Rende, Italy), Elena
Amato (co-chair, INAF, Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri, Italy),
Gianfranco Brunetti (IRA-INAF, Bologna, Italy), Andrey Bikov (Ioffe
Institute, St. Petersburg, Russia), Silvia Dalla (University of Central
Lancashire, Preston, UK), Horst Fichtner (Ruhr-Universitat Bochum, Germany),
Natasha Jeffrey (University of Glasgow, UK), William H. Matthaeus
(University of Delaware, USA), Reinout J. van Weeren (Leiden University, The
Netherlands), Gaetano Zimbardo (Universita della Calabria, Rende, Italy)

Contact: workshopunical2018 at gmail.com<http://gmail.com>

*******************

2. MEETING: SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT: The 18th Annual International Astrophysics
Conference will be held in Pasadena, California at the Sheraton Pasadena
February 18 - 22, 2019.(Welcome Reception and Evening Registration begins
Sunday, February 17).

The theme of the meeting will be "The Physics of Energetic Particles:
Universal Processes from the Solar Corona to the Very Local Interstellar
Medium and the Physics they Enable" and will follow the same format as
before with 25-minute presentations punctuated by selected 40-minute invited
talks that will explore various themes in greater detail.

Energetic particles are ubiquitous throughout the solar wind, being integral
to the solar corona, accelerated by interplanetary shock waves, present in
the quiet solar wind, possibly accelerated by magnetic flux ropes or
magnetic islands in the vicinity of the heliospheric current sheet, at
planetary bow shocks, present in the distant heliosphere and the
heliospheric termination shock, in the inner heliosheath, and now observed
by Voyager 1 in the very local interstellar medium. Although numerous
mechanisms have been identified that accelerate particles, no consensus
exists as to which is primary, and indeed several acceleration processes can
operate simultaneously in close proximity. The acceleration of particles to
large energies represents a fundamental dissipative process for the plasma
and can therefore modify the underlying plasma physical processes in
important ways. The meeting will explore observations, theories, and look
forward to anticipated new missions that will shine a light on this theme,
the Parker Solar Probe and IMAP.

Please visit the conference website for registration and abstract
submission:  https://www.icnsmeetings.com/conference/18thannual/index.html

E-mail inquiries about the meeting should be directed to Gary Zank at
garyp.zank at gmail.com or icnsmeetings at gmail.com.

*******************

3. OPPORTUNITY: Heliophysics POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER Opportunity at SwRI,
San Antonio.

The Space Research Department at SwRI, San Antonio is seeking applications
for a postdoctoral researcher to carry out original research addressing the
origin and acceleration of energetic particles in the interplanetary medium.
The candidate will analyze suprathermal and energetic particles, as well as
magnetic field and solar wind plasma data from Wind, ACE, and STEREO, and
the upcoming Parker Solar Probe mission. The candidate is also expected to
support the development and calibration of suprathermal and energetic
particle instruments to be used in upcoming heliophysics missions, publish
results in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and present results at
scientific meetings, workshops, and conferences. The research will involve
interactions with Institute Staff engaged in a broad range of observational,
computational, and theoretical research in the physics of the solar wind and
suprathermal and energetic particles. The candidate should have a PhD degree
in Space Physics or Plasma Physics, and have graduate-level experience in
the analysis and interpretation of solar wind, magnetic field, and
suprathermal particle datasets. The candidate must have at least a 3.0 GPA,
and demonstrate the ability to program and utilize data analysis software
tools such as IDL, C, or MATLAB.

To apply for this position go to

https://resapp.swri.org/ResApp/Job_Search_Results.aspx?DETAIL=15-01272.

For more information about SwRI visit

https://www.swri.org/technical-divisions/space-science-engineering

**********************

4. OPPORTUNITY: PhD POSITION in Heliosphere Physics and Space
Instrumentation at the University of Bern, Switzerland.

The Space Science Group of the Space Research and Planetology Division at
the University of Bern has an open PhD student position in heliosphere
physics to offer. The successful candidate will help develop the low-energy
instrument for the scientific payload of the heliosphere satellite IMAP.

For more information and to apply for this position, please visit

http://www.space.unibe.ch/about_us/jobs/phd_position_in_heliosphere_physics_
and_space_instrumentation/index_eng.html

Nikolai V Pogorelov

Professor

Department of Space Science

University of Alabama in Huntsville