[HeliosphereNews] Heliosphere News - June 5, 2018

Eric J. Zirnstein ejz at princeton.edu
Tue Jun 5 08:59:40 EDT 2018

Heliosphere News - June 5, 2018
http://heliospherenews.unh.edu/

A newsletter devoted to Heliospheric Science.

Editor: Nathan Schwadron (nschwadron at unh.edu) Co-Editor: Mihir Desai (mdesai at swri.edu) Co-Editor: Eric Zirnstein (ejz at princeton.edu) Co-Editor: Merav Opher (mopher at bu.edu) Co-Editor: Nick Pogorelov (np0002 at uah.edu)

Web site editor: Ken Fairchild (Ken.Fairchild at unh.edu)

If you are interested in being added to the list, being removed from the list, or posting an announcement, please send information to Nathan, Mihir, Eric, Merav, or Nick. Posts are limited to ascii text. Newsletters are archived on the following website: http://heliospherenews.unh.edu/.

******************* Announcements *******************

1. ANNOUNCEMENT: NASA makes selection for IMAP mission

2. MEETING: 15th International Solar Wind Conference, June 18-22, 2018, Brussels, Belgium

3. MEETING: ASTRONUM 2018, June 25-29, 2018, Panama City Beach, Florida, USA

4. MEETING: 49th COSPAR SCIENTIFIC ASSEMBLY, July 14-22, 2018, Pasadena, California, USA

5. MEETING: ISSS-13, Sept 10-14, 2018, UCLA, Abstract Submission and Registration Now Open

6. MEETING: International Workshop on 'Particle Acceleration and Transport: From the Sun to Extragalactic Sources', 12-16 November 2018, Universita Della Calabria, Rende, Italy

7. MEETING: 18th Annual International Astrophysics Conference, February 18-22, 2019, Pasadena, California, USA

8. Heliophysics POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER Opportunity at SwRI, San Antonio

******************

1. ANNOUNCEMENT: NASA makes selection for IMAP mission

See the announcement here:
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-selects-mission-to-study-solar-wind-boundary-of-outer-solar-system

******************

2. MEETING: 15th International Solar Wind Conference, June 18-22, 2018, Brussels, Belgium

Topics:

Origin and acceleration of the solar wind close to the Sun
Solar wind evolution during its propagation in the heliosphere
Connection of CMEs and ICMEs
Suprathermal and energetic particles in the solar wind
Solar wind interaction with solar system objects and dust
Interaction of the solar wind with the interstellar medium
Current and future solar and heliospheric missions

******************

3. MEETING: ASTRONUM 2018, June 25-29, 2018, Panama City Beach, Florida, USA

Maison de la Simulation (CEA/CNRS/UPS/UVSQ), France will organize ASTRONUM-2018 - the 14th International Conference on Numerical Modeling of Space Plasma Flows in Panama City Beach, Florida, USA, on 25-29 June, 2018.

Conference Website:
https://www.icnsmeetings.com/conference/astronum2018/index.html

The conference will cover the following topics:

(1) Advanced numerical methods for space and astrophysical flows; (2) Large-scale fluid-based, kinetic, and hybrid simulations; (3) Turbulence and cosmic ray transport; (4) Magnetohydrodynamics; (5) Software packages for modeling and analyzing plasma flows / Visualisation

with the application to

(1) Physics of the Sun-Heliosphere-Magnetosphere; (2) Interstellar medium and star formation; (3) Cosmology and galaxy formation; (4) Dynamo effect; (5) Stellar Physics.

The purpose of the conference is to bring together leading experts in applied mathematics, space physics, astrophysics, and geophysics to discuss the application of novel numerical algorithms and petascale parallelization strategies to computationally challenging problems. The conference will be structured around invited, 40-minute keynote and 25-minute regular talks, and a limited number of contributed talks, with the attempt to have no parallel sessions. The conference web site icnsmeetings.com will soon provide the information about the conference venue, registration, and means of transportation. E-mail inquiries about the meeting should be directed to Nikolai.Pogorelov at uah.edu and Edouard.Audit at cea.fr.

Program Committee: Tahar Amari (CNRS Ecole Polytechnique), Edouard Audit (CEA, Maison de la Simulation, co-chair), Amitava Bhattacharjee (Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory), Phillip Colella (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory), Anthony Mezzacappa (University of Tennessee, Knoxville), Ewald Mueller (Max-Planck-Institute for Astrophysics, Garching), Nikolai Pogorelov (University of Alabama in Huntsville, chair), Kazunari Shibata (Kyoto University), James Stone (Princeton University), Jon Linker (Predictive Science Inc.), and Gary P. Zank (University of Alabama in Huntsville).

******************

4. MEETING: 49th COSPAR SCIENTIFIC ASSEMBLY, July 14-22, 2018, Pasadena, California, USA

Heliospheric sessions:

A. Scientific Commission D

Overview Talks

Energetic Particles in the Heliosphere and in the Interstellar Medium: Acceleration, Anisotropy and Anomalous Transport

Large-Scale Heliospheric Structure: Theory, Modelling, and Data

Acceleration and Transport of Energetic Particles in the Heliosphere and beyond: from Pickup Ions to Cosmic Rays

Coordinated Observations and Modeling of Accelerated Particles at the Sun and in the Inner Heliosphere

Cool Material in the Hot Solar Corona (Prominences & Coronal Rain) and Non-solar Analogs

Solar Transients: From Solar Origin to Earth Impact and the Outer Heliosphere

Space Climate

Highlights of Magnetospheric Plasma Physics

Cross-Scale Coupling and Multipoint Observations in the Magnetosphere

Role of Nonthermal Distributions in Wave Generation, Particle Heating and Acceleration in Space Plasmas

Plasma Transport and Heating Across Boundary Layers

Particle Acceleration and Loss in the Earth and Planetary Magnetospheres

Magnetotail Dynamics and Substorms during Storm and Non-storm Time

Panels and Special Events

Issues in Capacity Building and Education for Space Sciences

Near-term Exploration of the Interstellar Medium

Development of Physics-based, Empirical, and Data Assimilative Models of the Radiation Environment

Metrics and Validation Needs for Space Weather Models and Services

Solar System Space Weather

>From Ionospheric Indices towards Standardised Activity Scales for Space Weather Services

Interoperability of Space Weather Data Models, Data Holdings and Data Access Tools

Space Weather Initiatives and Coordinated International Efforts to implement COSPAR-ILWS Roadmap Recommendations

******************

5. MEEING: ISSS-13 Abstract Submission and Registration Now Open

From: David Schriver (dave at igpp.ucla.edu)

Abstract submission and registration for the International School/Symposium of Space Simulations (ISSS-13) is now open at https://conferences.pa.ucla.edu/ISSS13. The abstract submission deadline is June 15. ISSS-13 will be held on the campus of UCLA the week of September 10-14, 2018. Lodging options in and around UCLA can be found on the website.

******************

6. MEETING: International Workshop on 'Particle Acceleration and Transport: From the Sun to Extragalactic Sources', 12-16 November 2018, Universita Della Calabria, Rende, Italy

The University of Calabria will host the international workshop on 'Particle acceleration and transport: from the Sun to extragalactic sources' on 2018 November 12-16 (http://astroplasmas.unical.it/workshop2018/)

Scientific rationale:

The workshop aims at presenting recent research on the longstanding problems of particle acceleration and transport in different astrophysical environments, such as the Sun, the heliosphere, galactic sources, and extragalactic sources. The purpose is to bring together experts in the fields of cosmic ray physics, plasma turbulence, acceleration processes, and particle transport, in order to stimulate cross-fertilization and to exchange scientific information among different areas. Indeed, the basic theoretical framework adopted to describe particle acceleration and transport is common to all those fields but the properties of the environments change noticeably. In addition, in-situ and remote observations often question the validity of the standard theories and prompt for further investigations to be interpreted. The availability of large datasets from new instrumentations and recent theoretical and numerical studies give the opportunity to advance the models and possibly to answer some of the basic unresolved issues. Exchange of ideas among the various fields would certainly speed up this process.

We strongly encourage to present to the different communities recent, pioneering observations, theories, and models that try to explain and describe processes of particle acceleration and transport. We try to bring together scientists who would like to understand what is happening beyond their field of specialty.

In order to promote an efficient exchange of ideas among different fields, each research area (solar, heliospheric, galactic, and extragalactic physics) will be introduced by a 40 minutes broad review talk. The majority of the talks will be upon invitation (30 minutes each), and at the end of each day a time slot of about 45 minutes will be dedicated to open discussions on the daily sessions led by a couple of scientists.

Contributed talks and poster presentations will be organized.

Main Topics:

-Observations of energetic particles in the solar, heliospheric, galactic and extragalactic environments

-Properties of cosmic ray transport and acceleration from in-situ and remote observations

-Solar flares, Crab flares, flaring phenomena in astrophysics

-Shock acceleration: problems and advances

-Particle acceleration in magnetic reconnection, including the relativistic regimes

-Particle acceleration in accretion flows and relativistic jets

-Transport and acceleration in non-linear regimes

-Magnetic turbulence in astrophysical plasmas: properties from large to small scales and effects on particle transport

-Theoretical models and numerical simulations of particle transport and acceleration

SOC:

Silvia Perri (Chair, Universita della Calabria, Rende, Italy)

Elena Amato (co-chair, INAF, Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri, Italy)

Gianfranco Brunetti (IRA-INAF, Bologna, Italy)

Andrey Bikov (Ioffe Institute, St. Petersburg, Russia)

Silvia Dalla (University of Central Lancashire, Preston, UK)

Horst Fichtner (Ruhr-Universitat Bochum, Germany)

Natasha Jeffrey (University of Glasgow, UK)

William H. Matthaeus (University of Delaware, USA)

Reinout J. van Weeren (Leiden University, The Netherlands)

Gaetano Zimbardo (Universita della Calabria, Rende, Italy)

Contact: workshopunical2018 at gmail.com

*******************

7. MEETING: FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT: The 18th Annual International Astrophysics Conference will be held in Pasadena, California at the Sheraton Pasadena February 18 - 22, 2019. (Welcome Reception and Evening Registration begins Sunday, February 17).

The meeting will follow the same format as before with 25-minute presentations punctuated by selected 40-minute invited talks that will explore various themes in greater detail. The conference theme for the 18th AIAC is "The Physics of Energetic Particles: Universal Processes from the Solar Corona to the Very Local Interstellar Medium and the Physics they Enable." More conference details and website will be available soon. For now, mark your calendars and contact us with your interest in attending.

E-mail inquiries about the meeting should be directed to Gary Zank at garyp.zank at gmail.com or icnsmeetings at gmail.com.

8. Heliophysics POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER Opportunity at SwRI, San Antonio.

The Space Research Department at SwRI, San Antonio is seeking applications for a postdoctoral researcher to carry out original research addressing the origin and acceleration of energetic particles in the interplanetary medium. The candidate will analyze suprathermal and energetic particles, as well as magnetic field and solar wind plasma data from Wind, ACE, and STEREO, and the upcoming Parker Solar Probe mission. The candidate is also expected to support the development and calibration of suprathermal and energetic particle instruments to be used in upcoming heliophysics missions, publish results in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and present results at scientific meetings, workshops, and conferences. The research will involve interactions with Institute Staff engaged in a broad range of observational, computational, and theoretical research in the physics of the solar wind and suprathermal and energetic particles. The candidate should have a PhD degree in Space Physics or Plasma Physics, and have graduate-level experience in the analysis and interpretation of solar wind, magnetic field, and suprathermal particle datasets. The candidate must have at least a 3.0 GPA, and demonstrate the ability to program and utilize data analysis software tools such as IDL, C, or MATLAB.

To apply for this position go to
https://resapp.swri.org/ResApp/Job_Search_Results.aspx?DETAIL=15-01272.
For more information about SwRI visit
https://www.swri.org/technical-divisions/space-science-engineering