[Ect_cois] RBSP-ECT Science Team Meeting

Geoff Reeves reeves at lanl.gov
Tue Nov 9 10:38:52 EST 2010

Folks,

It's been a long time since we've updated the team on progress with ECT and plans for a science meeting. I apologize for the silence and want to give you a very brief update.

As I'm sure you can guess there's plenty going on in the instrument teams. Assembly and testing of ECT flight units is going fast and furiously. All three instrument teams are working toward ship dates around March 2011. As amazing as it seems that's less than five months from now. I put the next COSPAR meeting on my calendar and realized that it's scheduled for after RBSP launch. Somehow that made it more imminent for me.

You may or may not have heard rumors of possible launch delay due to conflicts on the launch pad. There's no way for us to know for quite some time still and we all are still working toward a May 2012 lift off.

Mike, Reiner and the instrument teams are making great progress in development of the GSE-OS software that will talk to our instruments as well as the science analysis software that will produce the data products and summary plots we'll use for analysis. It looks to me like this will be the easiest system to use that I've seen which should mean less time accessing data and more time thinking about what it means.

Finally, at our last science team meeting we had talked about September (2010) as a possible time for our next meeting. Obviously that has come and gone. I've informally polled several people and the consensus seems to be that now through AGU is just impossibly busy. Next summer looks full of radiation belt related meetings with GEM, IAGA, a Chapman Conference, and an ISROSES/Bulgaria meeting. That should give us opportunities for subsets to get together but we are also looking at trying to hold an ECT-focused meeting somewhere between instrument delivery and GEM.

If you have any other questions about what's going on drop us a line. Thanks again for your support of the team and enthusiasm for this mission.

best wishes
Geoff & Harlan