[Crater-team] README file for the GLACE lunar-albedo model

Mark D Looper mark.d.looper at aero.org
Wed May 3 04:39:58 EDT 2023

Hello—

                I finally finished pulling together the attached README file that describes the arrangement and content of the tens of thousands of files that compose the Geant4 Lunar Albedo Computed Environment (GLACE) model, which I’ve been trying to get out the door for, I don’t know, the better part of a decade.  The README is twenty pages long, with lots of tables; I wanted to put this level of detail in a file to reside on Zenodo with the 206 GB (compressed) of data, not least so that I won’t have to stick it in a bloated appendix to a journal article!

                I do intend to write a couple of journal articles; sections 1 and 2 of the attached will begin a paper in which I’ll discuss the validation, limitations, etc., of the model, and then I intend to write another paper to flesh out and finalize those calculations I did long ago showing the variation of proton and neutron albedo with hydrogenation of the upper regolith.  Do we have a timeframe for that LRO special issue?  I’d like to see if I can embargo this model on Zenodo until those papers are published, or at least preprinted.

                With regard to authorship – I am about to begin the adventure of nailing down how to get a big dataset like this approved for public release by Aerospace, and how to get the Creative Commons distribution license signed off in a manner that doesn’t violate my terms of employment.  I would like the input of (at least) the usual gang of suspects as co-authors on the journal articles; however, it will simplify the process of wrangling with Aerospace legal if I am the only moving part on the dataset and readme itself.  Unless there is an objection, I’ll put only my name on those, and bring others aboard when I’m ready to write the papers.

Thanks—
--Mark

Mark D. Looper, PhD
Space Sciences Department