[Crater-team] Virtual introduction of a new CRaTER team member at Aerospace

Mark D Looper mark.d.looper at aero.org
Fri Jun 5 17:56:12 EDT 2020

Hello—

                The CRaTER team at Aerospace has a new member, with a background complementary to those of Joe Mazur, Bern Blake, and myself.  Dr. Kristine Ferrone has been with Aerospace for almost a decade, but recently she moved into the Space Science Department as our lead scientist for human spaceflight.  Moved organizationally, that is; she will remain based in Houston, but since we are already scattered from the east coast to the west coast and beyond, that’s not even the “new” normal for us, just normal.  Let me quote from Joe Mazur’s email welcoming her to the department:

Kristine received her BS in Physics from Carnegie Mellon University and Master’s degrees from the University of Florida, United States Sports Academy, and the University of Houston.  She recently received a PhD in Medical Physics from the University of Texas where she researched magnetic shielding as a way to minimize astronaut radiation exposure during interplanetary missions.  She has held positions at Brookhaven National Lab, Hamilton Sundstrand, and United Space Alliance before joining Aerospace in 2011.  Her most recent Aerospace position involved human spaceflight projects at NASA Johnson in the Systems Engineering Division.

                As I noted, this is a significantly different background from those of most of the crew at Aerospace -- space radiation instrumentation and magnetospheric/heliospheric physics -- and will broaden our usefulness to NASA’s human spaceflight projects.  (For one thing, she can use sieverts in a quantitatively correct manner, whereas I for one am only comfortable talking about grays!). As part of this, she will be working with CRaTER data here; I would like to request that her address (kristine.l.ferrone at aero.org) be added to the crater-team mailing list and that she receive invitations to the Wednesday telecons whenever they are sent out, so she can (virtually, for the moment) meet everyone and hear about what all we are up to.

Many thanks—
--Mark Looper

Mark D. Looper
Space Sciences Department