[Crater-team] Updates - but no CRaTER Team Zoom today

Harlan Spence spence at guero.sr.unh.edu
Wed Apr 29 12:19:58 EDT 2020

All,

   Given that a few of us just spent an hour plus on Friday,  five hours on Monday, and six hours yesterday on the LRO PSWG #32 Zoom meeting, let’s forgo today’s team Zoom.   We are LRO’d out!  Thanks to Jody, Andrew, and Sonya who endured those 12 hours (without break on each day!) and helped with the instrument presentation; and hats off to Andrew for his excellent presentation on breakdown weathering (loved Brad Joliff’s comments BTW!).  Despite the duration and the fact that there were ZERO breaks, I did feel that the virtual experience was surprisingly effective.  I learned a lot more about lunar geology than I would have had I been in the room with the presenter somehow.

  Most of you should have received your CRaTER ESM4 subawards by now; for those who might still be waiting they should be on their way.   A bottomline from the PSWG is that the spacecraft is healthy, the instruments remain mostly healthy and certainly healthy enough, operations are continuing despite GSFC being at Stage IV, and that funding for ESM4 is secured.  Onward!

   We’ll catch up with CRaTER publications next week.  It was nice to show that we have had 8 publications since PSWG #31.  We continue to consistently outpace several of the larger teams.  Nice work and let’s keep rolling!  I really like the idea of revisiting some of the early papers we did at the mission’s beginning now that we’ve been through an entire cycle.  That’s some low hanging fruit...

Thanks, - Harlan

________________________________
Harlan E. Spence
Director, Institute for the Study of Earth,
   Oceans, & Space and Prof. of Physics
Morse Hall, Room 306
University of New Hampshire
8 College Road