[Crater-team] CRaTER LET spectra - Compton edges?

Jody Wilson jkwilson at guero.sr.unh.edu
Wed Mar 13 10:41:22 EDT 2019

Hi CRaTER folks,

A "work in progress" panel that I'll include in my LPSC poster next week
is a ratio of the whole-mission *mare* LET spectrum to the *highlands*
LET spectrum.  The idea is that mare-rich elements should make positive
spectral features in this ratio, while highlands-rich elements should
produce dips in the ratio.

New since I last addressed this:

1) Wouter pointed out that gamma ray Compton edges should be more
prominent in our data than the primary spectral lines, since CRaTER is
not at all optimized to collect all of the energy from a given gamma ray
photon.  So I'm only labeling the energies of the Compton edges now.

2) Andrew and Wouter have been searching for new methods of normalizing
CRaTER data for making maps using combinations of singles rates and the
"linger time" of LRO over the Moon.  Along the way Andrew discovered
that the lunar map of the raw D4 singles rate looks kind of similar to
the SEPI map (ditto the raw D6 singles rate map), which means that
whatever is lighting up the highlands in the SEPI map is registering in
D4 as well as D6.  Therefore in the above plot I've used the
mare/highlands ratio from both D4 and D6 to improve the signal.

Notes:

Silicon and oxygen should make the brightest features due to their high
overall abundance, but they're almost as abundant in the mare as the
highlands, so they should basically cancel out in this ratio, and
therefore I'm not labeling them.

--
Jody Wilson
Space Science Center