[Crater-team] CRaTER mtg today

Mark D Looper mark.d.looper at aero.org
Wed Jul 10 13:57:38 EDT 2019

Hello--

	I'm not sure what we're looking at -- it appears that the slices are around the minimum-ionizing alphas (MIA) energy deposit at about 50 ADU?  If the band of interest is below the GCR proton swoosh on slides 6-8, those can't be protons in D4 & D6 (or they'd be on the swoosh).  Is the band being discussed "scruff" from a MIA plus delta, as labeled on slide 2?  And do we have an albedo proton spectrum from their calculations to indicate what the expected intensity of albedo MIPs (around 1 GeV) would be?  I attach a version (on short notice I couldn't find the one we actually published) of the omnidirectional albedo spectra that came out of my Geant4 simulations; looking at the green albedo proton curve, it peaks around the D4D6 doubles energy, and we know from the observations that there isn't much to see at the only slightly higher triples energy (no albedo proton swoosh on slide 2).  The Geant4 simulations predict albedo MIPs to be about 100x lower in flux than GCR MIPs (ca. 1 GeV).

	I'm sorry I've been incommunicado -- we are pushing out the door a ROSES PDART proposal that's due tomorrow, and believe it or not this is the first external proposal on which I've been a PI in my quarter century at Aerospace, so I had a lot of learning curve to climb...

Talk to you in a couple minutes--
--Mark

Mark D. Looper
Space Sciences Department