[Crater-team] Safe radiation?

Anthony Case tonycase at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 9 15:35:11 EST 2019

The headlines definitely do not capture the difference between LEO and
interplanetary travel (and neither does most of the text of the articles,
for the most part) .  But I'd say Cucinotta's comments appropriately get
that message across (in the final paragraphs of the stories).  But yeah,
most people would likely come away from these articles with the wrong
impression.

Radiation exposure may also have been much lower during early missions to
the moon and not reflect what would happen with the current generation of
astronauts, said Francis Cucinotta, a researcher at the University of
Nevada, Las Vegas, who wasn’t involved in the study.

“The missions in the past were low dose, while in the future the dose would
be 50 to 100 times higher for a Mars mission,” Cucinotta said by email.

Anthony Case

Astrophysicist

High Energy Astrophysics Division (HEAD/SSXG)

Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian

Cell: (617) 304 0768

60 Garden Street | MS 58 | Cambridge, MA 02138