[Crater-team] Link to paper - requires a subscription :-(

Zeitlin, Cary J (JSC-SD2)[WYLE LABORATORIES, INC.] cary.j.zeitlin at nasa.gov
Wed Jan 9 15:22:01 EST 2019

I think the point Harlan was making was the assumption in the paper that a transit exposure was ~ the same as a LEO exposure, and of course it’s not. But my point is that it’s probably only about a factor of 2 to 3 different from LEO or the Mars surface.

From: Mark D Looper <mark.d.looper at aero.org>
Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 12:18 PM
To: "Zeitlin, Cary J (JSC-SD2)[WYLE LABORATORIES, INC.]" <cary.j.zeitlin at nasa.gov>, Harlan Spence <spence at guero.sr.unh.edu>
Cc: "crater-team at lists.sr.unh.edu" <crater-team at lists.sr.unh.edu>

Sorry, I didn’t realize ISS-RAD was inside the ISS, or that the Martian atmosphere was that thick in aggregate… Was the research warning about the riskiness of interplanetary travel based on dose rates like the ones in the figure you just sent, or under less shielding, or over a longer time than LEO astronauts are exposed, or what?  Or was the extra risk due to the different composition of the GCRs, or the likelihood of SEPs (largely shielded out in the ISS orbit)?  I’m trying to understand what the differences are between exposure of astronauts in LEO and that of astronauts on a trans-Mars trip, which is what needs to be pointed out to address this apparent contradiction of the two papers.

Mark D. Looper
Space Sciences Department
The Aerospace Corporation
M/S M2-260