[Crater-team] SEPI vs. GOES

Jody Wilson jkwilson at guero.sr.unh.edu
Wed Jan 9 13:43:44 EST 2019

Hi folks,

Between AGU and my departure for the holidays I was experimenting with
plots of the SEP Index vs. GOES proton data.  Someone correctly pointed
out that it made more sense to plot PEAK(SEPI) vs. PEAK (PFU), rather
than Integrated(SEPI) vs. PEAK(PFU), as I had been doing earlier.  Well
... if anything the peak vs. peak plot may not look quite as convincing,
and that's obviously why it was then suggested to re-bin the SEPI data
to 5 minutes.

I also experimented with fitting various types of functions to the data,
and then using that function to make artificial PFU values for the small
events so that they can be included on the plot.  I'm not sure how
convincing that is, either.  Perhaps it would be best to list the
smaller events (that aren't in the GOES/NOAA tables) in a table of our
own, and only plot SEPI vs. PFU for the larger events?