[biomade-users] BioMade HPC Core downtime requested from 3pm Thursday 11/21 to 9am Friday 11/22

Robert Anderson rea at sr.unh.edu
Tue Nov 12 17:37:35 EST 2019

As many of you heard more than a month ago, I've been looking for a
window to shutdown the BioMade cluster overnight to reconfigure a
problem we discovered with the ZFS storage.  I've been doing weekly
snapshots of the existing data, but require 3 to 5 hours to reformat
and copy it all back.  I would like to start this work in the late
afternoon of Thursday 11/21 if possible.

I have been waiting for the long running jobs to complete.   Now that
they have I'm hoping this date a day AFTER the BioMade all hands is a
reasonable fit for everyone.  Please let me know if this time is really
bad for your group and we should consider rescheduling.  Otherwise I
would like the shutdown BioMade around 3pm on 11/21 and bring it back
online Friday morning 11/22.

We plan to take advantage of this downtime to upgrade ZFS and do other
system upgrades.  The ZFS upgrade is supposed to fix the one error we
have noticed a couple of times in the logs this summer.

Tom would be doing most of the system upgrades Friday morning before
bringing the cluster back online.

Thanks for you support and patience.

--
Robert Anderson <rea at sr.unh.edu>